turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

First Missed Bird Today????

Started by jayslim, March 25, 2011, 12:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayslim

I've been turkey hunting now for 5 or 6 years and I missed my first bird this morning at 30 yards in the woods.  In my head, I knew before I shot I was potentially taking a bad shot attempt.  I had to shot through some twigs and small brush, but I could see his head pretty good.  Looking back on it now I would have waited for the bird either to give me a good clear shot or let him walk away in hopes of calling him back up later.

Now here is the question do I let him rest or get back after him in the morning?

turkey slayer

If you have more places to hunt then I would give him a break

Basser69

Quote from: turkey slayer on March 25, 2011, 12:27:32 PM
If you have more places to hunt then I would give him a break

X 2 Give him a day or two to calm down

harvester

I would get back in there but with different calls and setup. Change up everything.

Hognutz

If you go back after him, I would definitely use a completely different call and set up. He may still be hot and shootable.
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

bowhunter84

Quote from: Hognutz on March 25, 2011, 01:16:04 PM
If you go back after him, I would definitely use a completely different call and set up. He may still be hot and shootable.
:agreed: :icon_thumright:

TrackeySauresRex

I'd give him a day or two as well...Then mix it up
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

jayslim

It looks as though I'm going to give him a break for a couple of days.  I'm going to a buddies place tomorrow morning and have church Sunday morning. So I'm going to get back after him Monday morning and try new calls and try to come in from another direction.

The funny thing is I haven't pulled the trigger on a bird in 2 years due to letting other people shoot first and my first shot I booger it up :groupwave: 

BrowningGuy88

Quote from: jayslim on March 25, 2011, 02:04:27 PM
It looks as though I'm going to give him a break for a couple of days.  I'm going to a buddies place tomorrow morning and have church Sunday morning. So I'm going to get back after him Monday morning and try new calls and try to come in from another direction.

The funny thing is I haven't pulled the trigger on a bird in 2 years due to letting other people shoot first and my first shot I booger it up :groupwave: 

It happens -- if you hunt enough, eventually you will miss! The next will make it better!

jayslim

Quote from: Daman on March 25, 2011, 02:06:31 PM
Quote from: jayslim on March 25, 2011, 02:04:27 PM

It happens -- if you hunt enough, eventually you will miss! The next will make it better!

I agree its all part of the game of hunting. It was still a great hunt and I thank the good Lord for every bit of it.

I've already been blessed to be able to call up a good friend of mine's first bird this year, which he is getting mounted. (11 ΒΌ" beard, 1 1/8" spurs, 20+ lbs) That joker strutted for an hour.

Beretta686

If you ain't missed them, you're not hunting. If someone says they have never missed a turkey, then they haven't hunted turkeys too long.

Welcome to the club.

Let it cool for a couple of days and give him the soft stuff with a little scratching in the leaves.
Official "Hippie" had my hip replaced August 2005

trkehunr93

Quote from: Beretta686 on March 25, 2011, 02:27:39 PM
If you ain't missed them, you're not hunting. If someone says they have never missed a turkey, then they haven't hunted turkeys too long.

Welcome to the club.

Let it cool for a couple of days and give him the soft stuff with a little scratching in the leaves.

:agreed:  Set up on a different ridge/side of the field, whatever your hunting and come at him w/ clucks, purrs and scratching in the leaves.  Use a wing if you have one, your hat or a gloved hand patted against your leg will sound like a wing beat.

hookedspur

Quote from: harvester on March 25, 2011, 12:57:46 PM
I would get back in there but with different calls and setup. Change up everything.
:agreed: hes callable then hes killable just move on him and switch it up some .... :anim_25:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

PANYHunter

That sucks you missed but it happens to the best of us.  If the shot didn't spook him too much and they arent too pressured  you can probably go back to the same spot and kill him.   :anim_25:

AndyH

I'd go back after him in the morning. Maybe with a different setup. I wouldn't worry about switching calls.