OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Aluminum Anodized or Glass Beaded

Started by Cutt, April 08, 2015, 03:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutt

Looking to get a good custom Aluminum to replace my HS Black Magic. For the extra money definitely wants something that plays and sounds better, than The Black Magic. Not sure to go with another Anodized surface like the Balck Magic, or try a Glass Beaded surface?  Anyone see a noticeable difference with the beaded? Less conditioning, easier running? Thanks

M,Yingling

just a personal preference but don't like neither of them surfaces as for the beaded glass I like a plain glass that needs conditioned to me it just sounds better,, seems like got more rasp and sounds a little sharper
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

KryptoniteKills

IMO the trouble with surfaces that come already beaded is that you don't know how coarse the beading will be. When the manufacturer puts fresh beads in the blasting machine the finished surface will be more coarse. As the beads wear down they produce a smoother beaded surface. This is the same concept as conditioning with different grit sandpaper. As a call builder I have experienced anodized aluminum that was a bit too coarse for my liking. I have some beaded glass that I don't like either so I condition it as I would any other glass. To answer your question, yes beaded surfaces are less maintenance but I think a surface that you can condition yourself will give you the best results. Hope that helps.

Cutt

Quote from: M,Yingling on April 08, 2015, 04:13:48 PM
as for the beaded glass I like a plain glass

Not talking glass, Talking an aluminum surface that has been glass beaded.

Cutt

Quote from: KryptoniteKills on April 08, 2015, 04:31:01 PM
IMO the trouble with surfaces that come already beaded is that you don't know how coarse the beading will be. When the manufacturer puts fresh beads in the blasting machine the finished surface will be more coarse. As the beads wear down they produce a smoother beaded surface. This is the same concept as conditioning with different grit sandpaper. As a call builder I have experienced anodized aluminum that was a bit too coarse for my liking. I have some beaded glass that I don't like either so I condition it as I would any other glass. To answer your question, yes beaded surfaces are less maintenance but I think a surface that you can condition yourself will give you the best results. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info, I was just wondering if the beaded surface vs. condition (scuffed) would produce less material being inbedded in strikers? I know my Aluminum call I condition now, kills a striker very quickly.

MikeStaten

I actually like that black magic call a lot.  I have 3 spare so I will have them a long time.   I don't like bead or glass blasted aluminum though.  It seems too "grippy" on my striker tip and almost leads to a chatter on the break or rollover part of my yelps.  I prefer a less finished Anodized surface like that found on Hanks or Lonnie Mabry's call or an unfinished surface like on Bill Lyman's calls.  I've got a bunch of different aluminum calls with different surfaces so if you want to hear any, just pm me your number and I will run them over the phone for you.   

Cutt

Quote from: MikeStaten on April 08, 2015, 07:32:15 PM
I actually like that black magic call a lot. 

That's the problem, if I'm paying custom dollar I want to like it more than the Black Magic, or really no sense in buying ? I recently bought a custom Crystal Metal Mouth, which was a big upgrade from my cheap crystal. Just not sure I'm going to see the same caliber of upgrade in aluminum going from The Black Magic to custom, like I did with the Crystal?

MikeStaten

I guess it depends what sound you are looking for.  I had/have plenty of custom calls that don't sound as good as the black magic.  Two things i really like about that black magic is that it is easy to play and it is versatile in that it can go real soft or get up pretty loud.   What sound are you looking for in the new aluminum call?   

Cutt

Quote from: MikeStaten on April 08, 2015, 09:54:53 PM
  What sound are you looking for in the new aluminum call?

Not really sure, till I hear it?  Kind of like the Platz walnut, aluminum over glass?

MikeStaten

You looking for a call to use this season?  If so the Platz call isn't going to happen unless you get a used one.  His wait last is probably close to a year at this point.  By the way, I've played that call and its a top notch call and worth the wait.  If you are looking for a call for this year, I highly recommend a call from Kimmy Hanks.  For whatever reason I don't see much about his calls on here but his calls sounded really good when I checked them all out at the convention in Nashville. To my ears, his aluminum is among the best I've played.  They are available on his site and a few other sites.  It is high pitch and has pretty good rasp to it... A good complement to your black magic.  Bill Lyman's aluminum call blew me away when I heard a guy playing it at the convention. I heard it from 30 yards away and knew I needed to have one as soon as I heard it. Its got a unique sound that really is good.  I picked another one too.   However, like the platz I doubt you will get your hands on one before this year.   Jimmy Shaffer also makes a great one but I haven't played his newest aluminum, the Atomic 13.  He's a real nice guy and you won't go wrong with one of his calls. I've got 3 of his and all are second to none in workmanship.  The aluminum I have really screams as its high pitched and raspy. 

PALongspur

Get in touch with Mark at Mac Turkey Calls and get yourself one of his black aluminum over glass pots. He has been doing alot of cherry and redheart, you'll be happy with either one.

Cutt

Quote from: MikeStaten on April 08, 2015, 11:00:52 PM
You looking for a call to use this season? 

I realize it's getting late and have no problem waiting and using what I have until I decide? Got a new Custom Crystal this year, so a Custom Aluminum can wait. So far I'm undecided with Platz, Lonzo, or Atimic 13? And I'm sure by next Season, there will be another latest and greatest?

Footballer

You can listen to several in the soundfile forum. I posted the Atomic 13. I really like the versatility of the call. You can get loud or soft on it.

scoot12

I have a platz cherry aluminum and its definately worth the wait,  I just received a redheart aluminum from Mark Cornelius and this call might be what you are looking for.  I have been running it a bit and she sings.  His cherry glass is one awesome glass call as well.  Scoot

letinmfly

Quote from: scoot12 on April 10, 2015, 09:33:28 PM
I have a platz cherry aluminum and its definately worth the wait,  I just received a redheart aluminum from Mark Cornelius and this call might be what you are looking for.  I have been running it a bit and she sings.  His cherry glass is one awesome glass call as well.  Scoot

For sure Scoot!!  Mark's cherry crystal is a killer too!!  I have both a Platz and Cornelius aluminum with Mark's being just anodized.  Both great sounding calls and you won't go wrong with either one.
The bead blasted only gets cleaned with an alcohol swab.  The anodized needs a little scuffing now and then with a scotch brite pad and don't forget to clean off the striker tip as well with the same pad.
Captain of the former Gobble Kings