OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Primos gobbstopper

Started by donjuan, April 08, 2015, 12:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donjuan

Any experience with the gobbstopper jake this year?
Whoever said you can't kill em from the couch never was good enough to call a gobbler into the living room

TRG3

I've tried 5-6 different gobble tubes and the one that Primos makes that you just shake is not only easy to use but highly effective, as evidenced this Monday with a 23# gobbler. I took the Illinois limit of three gobblers last season as well as the year before that using the Primos gobbler tube. I've also got one for a jake gobble tube that is just as easy to use by shaking and sometimes use it if the real gobbler seems to hang up (intimidated?) by the adult gobble from the Primos tube. Concerning those you blow, they may be just as effective, but you can't get much easier than just shaking, especially if you have some type of cover in front of you to mask any movement as you shake it.

jlewis4390

Ain't he talking about the new gobbler stopper decoy ?

Dr Juice

:agreed:
Quote from: TRG3 on April 08, 2015, 01:25:20 PM
I've tried 5-6 different gobble tubes and the one that Primos makes that you just shake is not only easy to use but highly effective, as evidenced this Monday with a 23# gobbler. I took the Illinois limit of three gobblers last season as well as the year before that using the Primos gobbler tube. I've also got one for a jake gobble tube that is just as easy to use by shaking and sometimes use it if the real gobbler seems to hang up (intimidated?) by the adult gobble from the Primos tube. Concerning those you blow, they may be just as effective, but you can't get much easier than just shaking, especially if you have some type of cover in front of you to mask any movement as you shake it.

kyturkeyhunter4

Quote from: donjuan on April 08, 2015, 12:15:52 PM
Any experience with the gobbstopper jake this year?
I'm hoping it works good, the head on the decoy looks realy good. Out of all the primos decoys I think the Gobbstopper looks the best

HunterMc23

I actually bought one this year but haven't had a chance to use it yet. The head and paint looks good in person

buck_hunter21

Quote from: TRG3 on April 08, 2015, 01:25:20 PM

Awesome! But have you had any luck with the gobbstopper?    ;D
Spill Blood

Clif Owen

Guy I hunt with bought one. Twice in about an hour Sunday morning we had birds nearly in range and they spooked from something. The first 3 circled us and from where they turned; they could see the decoys but not us. The other one appeared to see it and broke strut and put on his running shoes. It might have been something else but the hen between me and him didn't spook. She just seemed to stare at it or something, turn and feed off.

TRG3

Opps!! Like Ronald Regan once said, "There you go again..." as I assumed that the gobbstopper was the name of my gobble tube. So...No, I haven't tried the gobbstopper decoy, but I do have experience with the Pretty Boy and Funky Chicken gobbler decoys such that, in my humble opinion, a gobbler will come in to just about anything when he makes up his mind. For example, three or four years ago, I took a black five-gallon bucket, added a binder clip to the bucket's bottom to which I attached a fan, binder clips on the sides of the bucket held wings in the strutting position, and a piece of 2X4 painted like a gobbler's head and notched to wedge on to the rim of the bucket along with a frayed piece of black rope for a beard completed the "decoy". A section of broom stick with a nail in the end inserted through a hole in the bucket suspended the decoy above the ground. It was handy in that all of the parts fit in the bucket for transporting. Selecting the largest gobbler that came in to "bucket bird", my 11 gauge flintlock fowler brought him down. My 20 gauge flintlock fusil brought down a second tom later in the spring. So...a gobbler coming in to decoys may be more of a function of his attitude rather than the correctness of the decoy. Just my experience...