OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Help pattern an H&R

Started by bluebrass2942, April 08, 2015, 10:18:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluebrass2942

I have a NWTF edition H&R single shot, 12 ga., 23/4, 3 or 31/2 with a 24" barrel.  It was a permanent Full so I had it threaded for Mossberg 500/Browning Invector/Winchester choke system.  I have an H.S. Strut extended .665 and a Carlson's extended ported .660 and have shot lead 5's and 6's in all three chamber lengths.  I see no difference in patterns from one choke to the other.  The patterns are good but not tight at all.  I read a thread about deep cleaning so I will do that.  Any thoughts on choke/ammo combinations?  Thanks

paboxcall

Bluegrass - I shoot Hevi 3-2-7 through a Jellyhead with my H&R single.  It is the NWTF edition dipped in the original Mossy Oak Bottomland camo.  Patterns well with that shell/choke combo.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

10gaugemag

What brand of ammo have you tried?? Did you ever pattern the fixed full with Flightcontrol 6's?? Bet you passed up a good combo there if you did not. My dad has a 30" fixed full in a 3" 1100 that will hold its own with most screw in turkey tubes.

bluebrass2942

Thanks paboxcall. I used the following ammo to pattern:
Winchester Super X 23/4-11/4 oz-6
Federal Premium  23/4-11/4 oz--5. These were horrible
Winchester Super X. 3"-17/8 oz-6
Remington Premier HV Magnum 3"-13/4 oz-5
Winchester Supreme 31/2"-2 oz-6
Remington Nitro Turkey 31/2"-2 oz-5

I bought a box of Federal Flight Control 6's yesterday and Longbeards are on sale right now.

I never even shot it with the fixed full.  I just sent it off to be threaded.  Am I too tight or should I tighten it up more or is it more of an ammo issue?

bluebrass2942

I completed the deep clean, bought more ammo and another choke, Primos Jellyhead Maximum .660.
Federal Flight Control 3.5 - 2.25oz - 5
Federal Flight Control 3.5 - 2.25oz - 6
Winchester Double X  3.5 - 2.25oz - 6
Winchester Longbeard XR 3.5 - 2oz - 5
Using the Jellyhead, the first three patterned very well but not exceptionally tight. The LB's were amazing with a good pattern and very tight. I then patterned at 50 yards with a nice even pattern and almost as tight as groups from the other three shells at a closer distance.  No doubt the Jellyhead Max and Longbeard 3.5 - 2oz - 5 will take a Tom at 60 yards.
Thanks Paboxcall for the tip on the Jellyhead but I just couldn't bring myself to shell out $25/5 shells of Hevi, but I found a winner. Season starts day after tomorrow!

paboxcall

Quote from: bluebrass2942 on April 14, 2015, 12:59:26 AM
I completed the deep clean, bought more ammo and another choke, Primos Jellyhead Maximum .660.
Federal Flight Control 3.5 - 2.25oz - 5
Federal Flight Control 3.5 - 2.25oz - 6
Winchester Double X  3.5 - 2.25oz - 6
Winchester Longbeard XR 3.5 - 2oz - 5
Using the Jellyhead, the first three patterned very well but not exceptionally tight. The LB's were amazing with a good pattern and very tight. I then patterned at 50 yards with a nice even pattern and almost as tight as groups from the other three shells at a closer distance.  No doubt the Jellyhead Max and Longbeard 3.5 - 2oz - 5 will take a Tom at 60 yards.
Thanks Paboxcall for the tip on the Jellyhead but I just couldn't bring myself to shell out $25/5 shells of Hevi, but I found a winner. Season starts day after tomorrow!

Your welcome - just a kind reminder that this site does not permit discussions about patterns beyond 40 yards.

Good luck to you this season, glad to hear the JH worked for you.  I can't take credit I was put on the JH chokes by another member here as well.

:icon_thumright:
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

bluebrass2942

I was unaware of any rules beyond normal, common decency, sorry.  Can you point me in the direction of additional rules I should know?

paboxcall

Quote from: bluebrass2942 on April 14, 2015, 04:22:06 PM
I was unaware of any rules beyond normal, common decency, sorry.  Can you point me in the direction of additional rules I should know?

It's all good, no worries.  Only one official rule, which is be nice.   :icon_thumright:

The others can be found here:

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,10013.0.html