turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Got it done this morning in Tennessee!

Started by MouthCaller, April 08, 2015, 08:37:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MouthCaller

Great great hunt this morning! I got a surprise day off from work today so I headed out this morning in search of ol Mr Longbeard. It rained yesterday....I MEAN IT RAINED YESTERDAY!!!... I got on my phone last night to check the weather for this morning and it said all dry from around 9pm last night until 4pm today so I thought this morning would be a good one. I went to some property my family owns but I haven't hunted it in the morning roost time and I'm glad I did. I got up the mountain a little ways hooting as I went and finally stuck one up. I get within 100 yards and I say to myself you can get closer he can't hear you walking  (leaves were soaked and it was pretty foggy). I set ol Mr Jake and Ms hen out and sit on my tree I've picked out almost on top of the ridge facing west towards the holler he was in. I sat down and boom he gobbled not 70 yards away. I got my mask and gloves on and a hen starts tree calling down the ridge to my hard left. So not to be out done I tree call back and boy did she hate that! She cut yelped cut and cut and cut and cut and cut at me. We argue back and forth for 10 mins and the gobbler is going nuts so much that his buddy decides to join in there's two gobblers! Well the hen had enough and flew down looking to come kick my butt she comes in and circles the decoys about 5 yards the other side of them from me and is looking hard. She putts and clucks and I just knew it was over well she circled around and got out of sight so I called again and she got mad again cutting at me. Well she and her friend are coming right at me and are less than 20 yards when I see a full fan coming up the ridge from where she came the first time. Two huge red white and blue heads come bobbing up the ridge and they spot my Jake but they dont act mad about it. They come in to investigate and act real nervous so I click the safety off and they know something is up they Bob and weave walking away at a normal pace they cross behind a tree and the first one that popped out around the other side ate a face full of 3 1/2" #5 Longbeards. 9 3/4" beard 1" spurs and 18 pounds.  Awesome hunt!

TauntoHawk

Awesome hunt! great job slipping in close
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dr Juice

perrytrails

buck_hunter21

Spill Blood

snapper1982

Roost 1

Thundermtn

Right on! Cool hunt. It's fun to challenge those hens, a few years ago I had a mad hen 3ft from my boot looking for someone to whip. Usually means a gobbler is going down and quick.

101st501

MouthCaller

Quote from: Thundermtn on April 08, 2015, 10:03:57 AM
Right on! Cool hunt. It's fun to challenge those hens, a few years ago I had a mad hen 3ft from my boot looking for someone to whip. Usually means a gobbler is going down and quick.
I have tried for years to pick a fight with a boss hen and this is the first one I've came across since I was about 14. Usually I have to sweet talk the hens to me but getting sassy with that hen was just plain awesome.

eddie234

Congrats,

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

870supermagnum

Congrats, that was awesome.  Thanks for sharing your hunt.... it makes me want to leave work and go to the woods.

:fud:     :OGani:

RutnNStrutn

Sounds like a hunt we all dream of. Congrats!! :icon_thumright:

zelmo1

alloutdoors