turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who shoots a single shot turkey gun?

Started by Thundermtn, April 07, 2015, 11:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tail Feathers

I bought a little CVA 20 gauge single shot for the grandsons.  About 35" long, including the choke tube and it's a sweet shooter.  Being a hammer gun, it has a real sweet trigger.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

TRG3

I've used my single barrel 11 gauge flintlock fowler and 20 gauge flintlock Fusil to harvest a couple of gobblers. I've got a H&R 10 gauge, but I feel over-gunned with it. So, I usually just rely on my 12 gauge Remington 870 with my undertaker choke tube and various handloads. I'll be loading up some shells for my Remington 1889 hammer double barrel this afternoon in preparation for the Illinois third season which opens in 10 days.

stinkpickle

Quote from: Honolua on April 08, 2015, 07:45:47 AM
Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on April 08, 2015, 07:37:02 AM
I used to.  I killed quite a few birds with the H & R single shots.   The occasional misfires became more than I could handle and I no longer use them for turkey.

Used an H&R single couple weeks ago and my follow up (2) shots were miss fires. Lost my first bird.

Did these H&Rs have hammer extensions installed?  I heard the additional weight can slow the speed of the hammer travel...not sure if that's true, though.

Ihuntoldschool

No hammer extension on mine, I never use a scope on anything shotgun or rifle, so I never had a reason to install the hammer extension.    I really liked the light weight and maneuverability of these guns. They were ideal for turkeys in the mountainous/ hill country areas I usually hunt. However, my #1 requirement is that the gun go bang when I pull the trigger, for this reason I had to move on to something else.

BTW, I experienced this with brand new from factory models, as well as used models.  Light strikes were the norm and it was completely random, might fire once, not fire the next or vice versa.

jlewis4390

I have heard that the older ones are good and not problems but new ones have all types of problems I am currently looking for a single shot with removable chokes to make my turkey gun

ceallaghguy

I took this bird (9 in beard, 1/2 inch spurs) in west Alabama 04/12.  Pictured is the 60s era winchester model 37.  Kicks like a mule, but gets the job done :)

nickp

Another awesome thing about singles is the ability to change shells. In my h&h 10 if I am in a thicker area with shots to 40 yd max I shoot remington premier #4. More open than that and I will run mag blends. Can change them quickly and quietly.

Honolua

Quote from: stinkpickle on April 08, 2015, 01:27:10 PM
Quote from: Honolua on April 08, 2015, 07:45:47 AM
Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on April 08, 2015, 07:37:02 AM
I used to.  I killed quite a few birds with the H & R single shots.   The occasional misfires became more than I could handle and I no longer use them for turkey.

Used an H&R single couple weeks ago and my follow up (2) shots were miss fires. Lost my first bird.

Did these H&Rs have hammer extensions installed?  I heard the additional weight can slow the speed of the hammer travel...not sure if that's true, though.

Mines stock

waturkeynut

T/C encore 12 Ga Camo, with a truglo choke and Hevi Blend 5,6,7 puts a swarm of hurt out to 50yds.

Pros, ain't gonna misfire. Just watched my Daughter using a friends Benelli M1 misfire 5 times inside of 20yds on a Boss tom because the bolt wouldn't go home.

Cons...Kicks like a rented mule. Only gun I ever felt the recoil on while shooting a critter. Little spray foam and a mercury recoils suppressor should fix that.

Stickbow98

T/C Encore 20 ga., Mueller Quick Shot, Limbsaver Recoil Pad, Fed. HW 6's.

"Have Bow & Benelli....Will Travel!"

blkpowder

H&R Pardner 12ga. full choke, teamed up with Federal Premium Mag-Shok lead turkey load shotshells with flitecontrol wad.

CVA percussion 12 ga muzzle loader. 20 yds max limit with this gun. Pert ner got to put'em in your hip pocket before you shoot'em in the face.

One and done!

Tail Feathers

The CVA my grandsons carry.  I may swap with them soon, this thing is a pleasure to carry and is light on recoil for a single shot.  It's a 20 gauge.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

stringtalker

I also shoot the cva scout 20 gauge single shot. Nice trigger pull around 3 pounds and pretty light and doesn't kick really at all. Shoots a good pattern with the federal heavyweight #7's. Goin to try the federal lead loads with flight control wad and see how they do, I know some guys gettn really good patterns with them. To me there is no bad thing about using a single shot, I use one in everything I hunt, everything I own is a single shot, I love them 
Douglas

silvestris

Quote from: silvestris on April 08, 2015, 04:47:01 AM
I love my Encore.  The most comfortable gun I have ever carried and an excellent snap shooter.  I had a short, miserable learning curve the first season and missed three, but on the last one had practiced enough that I was able to quickly reload and kill him with the follow up.  Haven't missed since (knock on wood).

, til this season.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game