turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who shoots a single shot turkey gun?

Started by Thundermtn, April 07, 2015, 11:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thundermtn

How many guys hunt with a single shot turkey gun?  What are the best and worse things about it vs. a pump or auto?

silvestris

I love my Encore.  The most comfortable gun I have ever carried and an excellent snap shooter.  I had a short, miserable learning curve the first season and missed three, but on the last one had practiced enough that I was able to quickly reload and kill him with the follow up.  Haven't missed since (knock on wood).
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Bob

H&R 10 gauge, I like the challenge of one shot, there are no downsides except it's heavy and you only have one shot :fud:

JLH

mspaci

Ihuntoldschool

I used to.  I killed quite a few birds with the H & R single shots.   The occasional misfires became more than I could handle and I no longer use them for turkey.

Honolua

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on April 08, 2015, 07:37:02 AM
I used to.  I killed quite a few birds with the H & R single shots.   The occasional misfires became more than I could handle and I no longer use them for turkey.

Used an H&R single couple weeks ago and my follow up (2) shots were miss fires. Lost my first bird.

bbcoach

Quote from: JLH on April 08, 2015, 07:16:31 AM
Me!

All bow and  no blind for me!

Hunting with a bow is shooting at very close ranges and bow hunting long beards without a blind is drawing and moving at just the right moment.  This is PATIENCE at it's best JLH!   

perrytrails

Haven't shot one with it yet, built it for my grandson and the rest of the youngsters in the family. I'm gonna hunt with it myself this year.

20ga with Sumtoy choke. Great patterns. Looking forward to it.

snapper1982

I use an encore. No down sides for me.

Thundermtn

I've been thinking about an Encore for a gun for my kids that they could start with a 20 and move to a 12 later if they wanted to. Sounds like the H&R may have a few dependability issues. Thanks

101st501

I have an HR 20 that I patterned just for curiosity sake.  I would not hesitate to use it out to no more than 35 yards.  With the Hornady 3" #5 that little gun is awesome.  It has a modified barrel.

RutnNStrutn

I shoot an 870 but would love a single shot. I have an Encore that I use for deer (.30-06 & .50 cal mzzl), and would love to get a turkey barrel for. Recently spent a day hunting with a friend's H&R 20 ga. Sweet little gun, I loved it!! One day.....

kyturkeyhunter4

Quote from: Thundermtn on April 07, 2015, 11:10:38 PM
How many guys hunt with a single shot turkey gun?  What are the best and worse things about it vs. a pump or auto?
The best thing about a single shot is there very light and easy to handle, the worse is they kick like a mule and you only get one shot.

perrytrails

That 20ga is a H&R topper from the 80's. $90 on armslist. 

William Sumtoy installed the red dot mount and threaded for Tru choke. He Made the choke 562-5 for federal heavyweight 3 inch. $160 for all the work.

Limbsaver m4 pop on recoil pad and ati collapsable stock. Right at 4 lbs. bushnell TRS red dot.

Less recoil than any 12 ga. Stock will collapse to 12 inch and extend to 14 1/2.

Great for anyone to shoot. And it throws a great pattern at 40 yards.