turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bad primer

Started by Bama turkey hunter, April 07, 2015, 11:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bama turkey hunter

Two of my friends was hunting Saturday called in a double one was shooting hevi shot the other was shooting winchester long beard  we'll the long beard  did not fire bad primer he had to rack another round and made it count they got the birds. Has anyone had problems with the long beard primers.
Tony

ThunderChickenGetter

I have never had problems with the long beards as they have always went bang every time I pull the trigger. I have had some of the custom Nitro loads not go off in my gun though.

101st501

I don't think I have ever had a shotgun primer fail to ignite.

WAGinVA

I shoot a LOT of sporting clays and reload exclusively with WW 209 primers.  I have had one bad primer in the last 20,000 loads.  About ten years ago I got a questionable lot of primers and had 3 FTF in 5,000 primers.

Gulicemo

Had Win LongBear XR 3.5 #6 not go off last year and it resulted in a missed opportunity on a big bird at 15 yards.  I blamed it on the gun which was a Mossberg 5something.  Promptly got rid of the gun.

Dr Juice

Knock on wood, I have not experienced that with a shotgun shell.

darn2ten

Quote from: Bama turkey hunter on April 07, 2015, 11:04:10 PM
Two of my friends was hunting Saturday called in a double one was shooting hevi shot the other was shooting winchester long beard  we'll the long beard  did not fire bad primer he had to rack another round and made it count they got the birds. Has anyone had problems with the long beard primers.
What model gun was he shooting? Before I say this I want to make it clear that I'm not knocking the brand. Over the years I have seen this happen about 4 times if memory serves me right. Three of those times was with a Mossberg 835 and the other with a old very dirty Winchester pump. Luckily most were at the patterning board with the exception of one. With the 835's it happened twice with one gun and the other was a different gun. One gun was due to having a dirty gummed up firing pin and the other got the firing pin return spring replaced and hasn't had a problem sense. Basically light primer strikes. I've shot a bunch of LB's in many different guns while patterning and haven't had a issue. Not saying it's not the shell, because it's certainly possible.

Snoodsniper

Yep my guess would be a light primer strike as well.