OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

In the market for a new gun.

Started by Trapper13, April 07, 2015, 11:23:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trapper13

Hey Guys,

I recently got the old man to start turkey hunting with me so I'm in the market for a new turkey gun. I currently have a mossberg 500 and he's using my browning 10 ga. bps, but I'm wanting to get a lightweight 3.5" 12 ga. pump. I normally cover between 3-5 miles a day turkey hunting and I need something lighter than my 10. I'm looking at the 870 express super mag and the mossberg 535. I've read negative reviews on both and would like to hear from the people that actually own one.

SCDieselDawg

I own and hunt with a 870 Super Magnum. The only negative to it is the recoil from 3.5" shells.  To be honest if I were in the market for a light weight turkey gun I would seriously skip the 3.5" chambers in favor of 3" or look into a 20 gauge. 

Trapper13

I agree that a 3.5" chamber isn't necessary, but call me crazy i don't own a 3.5" 12 and just want one. Recoil is not really an issue to me. I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment. It hurts sighting in but you never feel it when your shooting at game or at least i don't.

Tennessee Lead

I agree with the 3".  Also on the 20 gauge as well. I've always shot 3&1/2" and thought that's the only way to go to kill a turkey. I switched to 3" this year and ain't looking back. If my gun wasn't so sentimental I would be looking for one chambered in 3" because it would be lighter than my 835.
My cousin has owned both the 535 and 870 SM. He loves both guns. Traded off his 535 but said he regrets it. Currently uses his 870 SM. I don't think you could go wrong with either. I personally like a Mossberg due to the safety and normally a little cheaper on price.
Let us know what you choose. Good luck to you and congrats on getting your Father involved with you.

Sent from my iPhone that I ain't smart enough to use with tapatalker

Trapper13

Well I'm not in the market for a new gun anymore. I had to get a new chainsaw instead, but when and if I do I have settled on the 535 as I have had good Luck with  mossberg's.

bszweda

I own a Mossberg 535 and kinda regret buying it. Its recoil and patterns with default choke leave something to be desired. I am also not happy  with the finish of the gun as certain spots are flaking off.  However it is light and gives you the option for 3 1/2 shells. However a lot of people  are saying the 3 inch shells pattern just as well without the additonal 50 percent recoil. I am in the process of getting a new choke ssx and trying 3 inch hevi #6s.