OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Trespasser stories...what's yours?

Started by Honolua, April 06, 2015, 10:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Honolua

I was turkey hunting the other morning and had a hen come in closely follows by a Tom who was just out of range and then all hell breaks loose with a trespasser 200 yards away shooting the woods up. I sneak out and get to within 25 yards and let one go with the .12 straight up in the air. When I stepped out I saw it was a guy and his kid shooting a 9mm hand gun.

The guy said, "Oh, is this your land? I didn't know any one was out here hunting."

Yeah, it is. Yes, I was, that's why I'm carrying a decoy.

The guy said, "I didn't know we couldn't come back here and shoot."

Me: Really, that's wierd, since there is 12 No Trespassing Signs between here and the main road and two more on the gate you left your atv at.

He was pretty lucky he had his boy with him. I told him to wrap it up soon and walked away shaking my head. I knew that if I didn't leave I'd say something ugly in front of his boy.

Gooserbat

I usually have my wife drop me off but only on a dirt road and always at least a couple hours before daylight.  I usually use a crossbow so I don't make noise.  Once I kill a bird I call her on my cell and have her pick me up at one of three predetermined pick up spots.  One word of caution is always watch for electric fences in the dark.  I've not been busted yet so to say I do it well would be in order. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Tennessee Lead

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 06, 2015, 11:20:50 PM
I usually have my wife drop me off but only on a dirt road and always at least a couple hours before daylight.  I usually use a crossbow so I don't make noise.  Once I kill a bird I call her on my cell and have her pick me up at one of three predetermined pick up spots.  One word of caution is always watch for electric fences in the dark.  I've not been busted yet so to say I do it well would be in order.
I just woke up my wife laughing

Sent from my iPhone that I ain't smart enough to use with tapatalker

Deputy 14

Mike Honcho

Gooser, don't laugh we caught a guy doing just that during deer season on our property about 10 years ago, but with a rifle. His wife kept driving by in a mini van while my cousin held him for the sheriff.

TRG3

Gooserbrat...I know a guy who lives by your post! He always says, "You don't need permission, you just need a good place to park." It was with much delight when, in the local paper's courthouse news section, he was listed as paying fine for trespassing. Did it change him? I doubt that the only thing it changed was the need for him to find a better place to park!

darron

My family and I own 104 acres in SE Ohio. We use to have some serious problems with trespassers. Signs will only keep the honest people out. However, I will say signs that have some type of camera wordage goes a long way. I have my entire perimeter posted with no trespassing/hunting signs every 50-75 yards. In addition, in areas of likely human intrusion I post signs that say "Warning Security Cameras In Use." I have dummy security cameras about 10 yards behind in plain view. Ever since I started doing this my trespassing issues went down dramatically. We own quite a bit of road frontage. The road frontage is hard to sneak in from, but not the back side. There is an old non-maintained county road about 300-400 yards from our back line. Guys will walk this road and call. If they hear a bird they just go.

tomstopper

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: Seriously though, this happens more often than what people think...

ferocious calls

1st day last season a friend and I are about to peek out into one of our fields when my buddy says there are 3 guys out there and one is setting a decoy. I walk straight to the decoy setter who is bent over trying to push stake into the hard ground. He never saw me coming. At 5 feet I yell HEY YOU THINK THATS A GOOD SPOT! Then say who the %&*&& are you guys' and what the %^&% are you doing here? We just wanted to get up high the bottoms are flooded was the return.

I had them line up for a group picture holding there ID chest high. Told them the next time it would not be as pleasant of a shoot. They walked rite past the posted signs on the way in. 

Then there was the guy I walk up to in deer season and say hello. We get to talking and I say man, it is posted heavy in here. He says ya but I park down by the gate over at so in so. I say, who owns this ground? He says my name and says don't let him catch you he is crazy. I reach out to shake his hand and ask his name. he shakes and tells me his name. I tell him my name and he turned white i kidd not. Have not seen him again.

My posters have the message: I will find you, written on them. And I will!

Selluwud

My grandfather came up with novel way to handle trespassers on our group owned hunting tract in NC. After several trespasser sitings and confrontations, he chained an old bear trap to a tree facing the main access road to the land and over it placed sign that read "Warning Bear Traps On This Property". I asked my grandfather about the fact that bear traps were illegal, and he stated that having a sign that said you had them wasn't. We never had another trespasser that I ever knew about.
5/4ths of people don't understand fractions

buckluck_9pt

maybe i am reading your post wrong but it almost sounds like you are saying you knowingly trespass? am i reading your post wrong?

jakesdad

Quote from: buckluck_9pt on April 07, 2015, 09:35:29 AM

maybe i am reading your post wrong but it almost sounds like you are saying you knowingly trespass? am i reading your post wrong?

I believe he meant it as a joke. You have to take everything with a grain of salt from a guy who calls himself Gooserbat!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

buckluck_9pt

Quote from: jakesdad on April 07, 2015, 09:38:29 AM

I believe he meant it as a joke. You have to take everything with a grain of salt from a guy who calls himself Gooserbat!

lol.. gotcha.. thought it was awfully forward. lol... thanks guys.. i haven't run into trespassers yet, had them on our property... got trail cam pics of them and once we had them (in the cover of darkness) walking from their property to ours, flashlights on, trying to get to our treestands and box blind.. little to their knowledge my mother ( who hunts with us) was sitting in the box blind... she yelled at them ( we know the guy, so she yelled at him by his full name) when they were about 20 yards from her.. scared the tar out of them.. they turned off their flashlights and all you could hear was them trampling through the bush to get back to their property...

stinkpickle

LOL!  You can just slap one of these signs on the side of your truck, and you can park anywhere you want.  Let your wife sleep.    ;)