OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Finally able to review them!!!!

Started by Model 1300, April 06, 2015, 09:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Model 1300

I made it up to the range today to test out my new loads (Winchester Longbeard XR's). I have two things to say about these loads.
1.) AWESOM
2) Ouch  :TrainWreck1:

These loads are by far the best I have tested. Very first shot and I was done. At 40 yards the #5's preformed flawlessly. Over 70 BB's in the head and neck. If you are thinking about trying these loads DO IT you will not regret it. Now the recoil is like being kicked by a horse but that's the same for most 3 inch loads.

Good luck, Stay Safe and God bless. :cross2: :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an :icon_thumright: :newmascot:

"Stop flinching it's just a 3 1/2 inch Magnum" said the old man.

Turkey and I have a love hate relationship.

ThunderChickenGetter

Those long beards are bad news for turkeys! I shoot 4's now but I hope to try some 5's out real soon.

jlewis4390

I shoot 3" #6 and like em alot I am gonna get some 3.5 when in stock

zelmo1

I shoot 3.5 #5's and in the woods, they are awesome. Practice sucks. No adrenaline at the range and they do kick. The pattern and performance is worth it.

101st501

Tennessee Lead

Quote from: 101st501 on April 07, 2015, 10:11:26 PM
I like my 3" #6s
X2! Switched from 3&1/2" and ain't looking back

Sent from my iPhone that I ain't smart enough to use with tapatalker

Tennessee Lead

Quote from: Model 1300 on April 06, 2015, 09:47:06 PM
I made it up to the range today to test out my new loads (Winchester Longbeard XR's). I have two things to say about these loads.
1.) AWESOM
2) Ouch  :TrainWreck1:

These loads are by far the best I have tested. Very first shot and I was done. At 40 yards the #5's preformed flawlessly. Over 70 BB's in the head and neck. If you are thinking about trying these loads DO IT you will not regret it. Now the recoil is like being kicked by a horse but that's the same for most 3 inch loads.

Good luck, Stay Safe and God bless. :cross2: :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an :icon_thumright: :newmascot:
Are you shooting the regular XR's 2oz or the Magnums 2&1/8 oz?

Sent from my iPhone that I ain't smart enough to use with tapatalker

Model 1300

"Stop flinching it's just a 3 1/2 inch Magnum" said the old man.

Turkey and I have a love hate relationship.

captpete

I tried the 3" 1 3/4oz 6's Longbeards and they patterned terrible for me. I shot them out of an 870 with a 26" barrel using a SSX choke. At 35yds I had a much better pattern with Winchester XX mags & the Winchester HV's. I also shot the LB's at 20 yds. The pattern was about 6" left of the of where the other 2 Winchester loads were hitting. On the 1st shot at 20yd with LB's, there was about 3/4" hole to the very far left (on very outside edge) of the pattern. The 2nd shot I had the same hole, only to the very far right of the pattern.

Thoughts or ideas of what is happening?? Is the SSX to tight for the LB's?

sixbird

Quote from: captpete on April 09, 2015, 07:08:08 AM
I tried the 3" 1 3/4oz 6's Longbeards and they patterned terrible for me. I shot them out of an 870 with a 26" barrel using a SSX choke. At 35yds I had a much better pattern with Winchester XX mags & the Winchester HV's. I also shot the LB's at 20 yds. The pattern was about 6" left of the of where the other 2 Winchester loads were hitting. On the 1st shot at 20yd with LB's, there was about 3/4" hole to the very far left (on very outside edge) of the pattern. The 2nd shot I had the same hole, only to the very far right of the pattern.

Thoughts or ideas of what is happening?? Is the SSX to tight for the LB's?

Guess your gun doesn't like 'em...My guess with the holes is that that's the wad. Wads flight path can vary according to how they come out of the barrel...
I shoot a Benelli SBE II witha .670 Haymaker choke and it shoots the #5 L/B's pretty darned well...Generally .655/.660 chokes are recommended for that gun so, maybe that choke is too tight (I'm just guessing of course).

MEbeardlover

My Mossberg 500 with the factory extra full choke really likes Reminton Nitros. I get great results from 20-30 yards and solid patterns from 30-40.

That being the case, I picked up a box of LBs a few weeks ago to give it a go. Still about three weeks to the Maine season opener, so I haven't patterned yet. But I'm curious to see the results.