OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

2015 KY Youth Hunt

Started by Chilly, April 06, 2015, 08:03:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chilly

My oldest boy Landon, who is 8 years old, was in on his first successful Run-N-Gun hunt this weekend.  We hunted till 1:00 Saturday and worked two birds but couldn't get either sealed up.  Went to Easter Mass Saturday night and Landon barely stayed awake through it he was so tired. 
Sunday started out very slow with birds hammering on the roost and shutting completely up.  We located this bird at about 9:45 and he gobbled one time.  We pulled back and put up a single hen decoy.  So sooner than I got back to our tree, I looked up and he was standing there 175 yards away.  We made one series of purrs and yelps and he strutted the whole way in.  Landon shot him at 27 yards with a load of #7 HW and the bird did a back flip. 
Bird is 26lbs, 11 3/4 beard, 1 5/16 spurs

Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!

captin_hook

Awesome. Congrats to both of you. That's a good bird. :you_rock:

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

TauntoHawk

Chilly, Congrats! Thats a heck of a bird

Saw the picture on Jimmys page, is that the slate or ceramic version of the red hen?
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

870supermagnum

Landon you did an awesome job.  Congrats on a fine bird.  Dad you did an awesome job too.

A winning team!    :z-winnersmiley:

ILHUNTER

Awesome job guys, That's a monster bird for any age, he is hooked now I bet

alloutdoors

That's a great bird, congrats!

jlewis4390

Congrats can't wait till my boys old enough ;)

kyturkeyhunter4

Quote from: Chilly on April 06, 2015, 08:03:33 AM
My oldest boy Landon, who is 8 years old, was in on his first successful Run-N-Gun hunt this weekend.  We hunted till 1:00 Saturday and worked two birds but couldn't get either sealed up.  Went to Easter Mass Saturday night and Landon barely stayed awake through it he was so tired. 
Sunday started out very slow with birds hammering on the roost and shutting completely up.  We located this bird at about 9:45 and he gobbled one time.  We pulled back and put up a single hen decoy.  So sooner than I got back to our tree, I looked up and he was standing there 175 yards away.  We made one series of purrs and yelps and he strutted the whole way in.  Landon shot him at 27 yards with a load of #7 HW and the bird did a back flip. 
Bird is 26lbs, 11 3/4 beard, 1 5/16 spurs
That was a awesome bird, congrats

beagler

Never Misses

Chilly

Thanks for all of the fine comments.  To say we were both proud, would be an understatement! 
Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!

PEA SHOOTER

That's awesome!!!!! Hope there for is many more to come for that little dude!!

bchilde

Great job Landon. Going to be hard to beat that turkey.

taylorjones20

Alive only by the Grace Of God