turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

X3 pattern question

Started by Ky killer, April 05, 2015, 11:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ky killer

Long time reader first time poster. I have a Winchester super x 3  26" barrel,I am shooting Indian creek choke with hevi 13 my pattern is okay but I would like better. Any suggestions? I have tried the magnum blend and they shot high in my gun. I bought some long beards and tried them this weekend and they shot low. The long beards shot awesome in my sons 870. Thanks. I am shooting 3 1/2" #6

Swampchickin234

I would try to get some tru glo magnum gobble dot sights or Williams fire sights to adjust poa/poi.  That way you am choose the shell you like and put it where it needs to go.  Might try some hevi 7s too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Ky killer on April 05, 2015, 11:42:25 PM
Long time reader first time poster. I have a Winchester super x 3  26" barrel,I am shooting Indian creek choke with hevi 13 my pattern is okay but I would like better. Any suggestions? I have tried the magnum blend and they shot high in my gun. I bought some long beards and tried them this weekend and they shot low. The long beards shot awesome in my sons 870. Thanks. I am shooting 3 1/2" #6

It's good to see you posting here and look forward to hearing more from you.

I have the SX3 with a 28" barrel and it patterns both the 3" Hevi-13 shells with both #6 and #7 shot very well as well as the 3" WLB shells with 1.75 oz. of #6 shot.

The Browning/Winchester guns with Invector+ barrels benefit many times from chokes, depending upon the design, with exit diameters in the .640 to .655 range. Their engineers recommend a .640 e.d. in their Final Strut choke tube.

In the recent evaluation that I did for the article in "Turkey Country" magazine, chokes from .643 to .655 did best with the WLB shells. Patterns were dense and even with no 2" or larger gaps. The lowest number in the 10" was 172 and were as high as 209, with all shots in the low 50s to mid 50s.

The Hevi-13 shells had lower numbers but coverage was still excellent http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=759&osCsid=qAQYKOJS16AksnChVYZVd0

The real emphasis was on pattern quality and not numbers. I don't know what quality your patterns or numbers but this should give you some basis for comparison.

Lastly, you may find as I have that pattern quality can increase with the 3" shells as opposed to the 3.5" shells. I'd also recommend that you "deep clean" the bore of your gun, if you've not already done that. It may help the combination that you presently have to be better.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Ocoee Ridge Runner

Rob Roberts .660 shoot great patterns out of my SX3. I get 215 in the ten with a nice even pattern out to 20. If you want a super tight pattern I get 250 in the ten with a Sumtoy .675.