turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

You can teach an old dog new tricks!

Started by Big Treble, April 05, 2015, 01:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Treble

Several of you may know before last summer I new nothing about turkeys. After climbing out of a tree stand last fall year, frustrated with, lack of access to good land, shoulder impingement, other idiot hunters & state deer management I stared thinking "Turkey".

As luck would have it, we have a abundant turkey population, few hunters to compete with and farmers that would generally be more than happy to let you hunt birds on their property.

I also got hooked up with a local NWTF chapter that sponsors a "learn to hunt" program.  While the classroom content was understandably geared towards youth and very basic.  The mentor hunt was awesome and extremely informative.  I'm thinking I shaved off about 5 years of self taught trial and error experience.

End result..... My first bird.  Earlier in the day, we had several gobblers hammering in response to my mentors calling, we couldn't get those Toms to show. But the cool thing was my heart was pounding with excitement, something that hasn't happened in years while hunting deer. About 5 pm we had 3 toms spot the jake and hen and decided to come investigate.  They came in silent and from behind.  It was over within 60 seconds.

Not a monster, but 19.5 lbs with a 9" beard and spurs that were 13/16 & 7/8. Thanks to the NWTF the local chapter Southwest Wisconsin Longbeards.

alloutdoors

Congrats! Now you're hooked for life.

Turkeyman11

Congratulations!  Welcome to the addiction!

Gooserbat

Congrats on you tom and your new "bad" habit. :z-guntootsmiley:
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Phire Phite

Nice, now you can obsess about chokes and load combo's.  Welcome to the club.

outdoors

YA. YA.  AY. WELCOME TO A GOOD BAD HABIT
IVE SEEN MORE MARRIAGES SEPARATE FROM DEAR HUNTING
THAN TURKEY HUNTING.     :z-winnersmiley: 
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Big Treble

Thanks guys, not too sure I'm going to worry a about the choke and load combo much right now. I'm getting low 130's at 40 now. Didn't try any thing else but 3" longbeards and hit it right away with a kicks choke. 

Still trying to "perfect" my somewhat marginal calling.  Got to wait two and a half weeks until my season starts. (Wisconsin had a preseason mentor hunt this weekend)

Dr Juice

captin_hook

Snoodsniper

Oh yeah its all down hill from here....as far as I know there's no rehab for this addiction.

mgm1955

ridgerunner

Congrats! You're hooked for life now!..Lots of good memories, that's what it's all about.

owlhoot

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!