turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Blinds

Started by Cutt, April 04, 2015, 05:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutt

I see a lot where many use blinds for gunning? I can see where a young kid or handicapped hunters is invovled, which is a great aid. But to me a big part of turkey hunting, is just sitting against a tree in camo, trying to fool his eyes too, along with your calling. Then making the right move at the right time when needed? Sometimes it works and sometimes you can booger a hunt very easy, but that's turkey hunting to me.

I And I just love this part of turkey hunting, and could not see sitting in a blind with a gun. Do you feel gunning from a blind,( not with kids) takes away from this challenge of turkey hunting?

jblackburn

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

2eagles

Not gonna say anything about this thread because of the "be nice" rule.

Cutt

Quote from: 2eagles on April 04, 2015, 06:22:04 PM
Not gonna say anything about this thread because of the "be nice" rule.

I understand, was not meant to be rude. Just feel this technique is missing out on one of the pure enjoyments of turkey hunting. Maybe I'm old school? But I'd never want to take that element out of turkey hunting, it's part of what I look forward to, and just wondered if those feel the same?

870supermagnum

I've never used a blind myself, except when hunting with my 8 year old grandson.  I've had some great hunts the old school way and I've been busted many times also.  It's all comes down to personal preference and/or skill level.

:fud:    :OGani:

born2hunt

I share the same opinion as you. I don't hunt from a blind and really enjoy the eye contact challenge when turkeys get close but then again I like to deer hunt from 30-40 feet up a tree so go figure. That's whats cool about hunting, you choose your method. To each their own.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

stinkpickle

Quote from: Cutt on April 04, 2015, 05:01:18 PM
...Do you feel gunning from a blind,( not with kids) takes away from this challenge of turkey hunting?

Well, it sure works better than pretending to be haybale in the middle of a corn field without one.

Cutt

Quote from: stinkpickle on April 04, 2015, 10:36:08 PM
Quote from: Cutt on April 04, 2015, 05:01:18 PM
...Do you feel gunning from a blind,( not with kids) takes away from this challenge of turkey hunting?

Well, it sure works better than pretending to be haybale in the middle of a corn field without one.
Never tried that, if I field hunt I usually sit back in the woods line a few feet.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

woody328

I carry a small cloth blind with wooden dowels and I build blinds out of palmettos. Most "old school" turkey hunters i know will build a blind given the opportunity. It's pretty quick and easy here in florida. Sometimes I have to set up to quickly to set up a blind, but I prefer having one. It's more comfortable as well.

silvestris

Leaving the turkey's eyesight out of the conversation, I find an enclosed blind to be too confining and it takes too much  from the pleasure of the hunt for me to use one.  Now, a blind constructed of natural materials to break up the human outline is a different animal altogether if I have the opportunity to quickly construct such.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

mudhen

No...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

gobbler777

For crying out loud .....Just go out and have fun hunting any method as long as its legal. Personally I prefer running and gunning
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

Cutt

Quote from: gobbler777 on April 05, 2015, 04:02:04 AM
For crying out loud .....Just go out and have fun hunting any method as long as its legal. Personally I prefer running and gunning

Question wasn't intended to be a pi$$ing match between who uses a blind and who don't. Or if you agree with using one or not.

Was simply asking if you enjoy or look forward to the challenge of turkey hunting that involves being in the eyesight of a turkey without a blind, and trying to make the right moves at the right time when needed? I personally enjoy this part of turkey hunting, where sitting in a blind would eliminate this aspect of turkey hunting which I think many miss out on sitting in a blind.