OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Got me some tail ...

Started by Rapscallion Vermilion, April 04, 2015, 03:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rapscallion Vermilion

No, not that kind   :turkey: , the season hasn't opened here yet, and I don't talk about the other kind,  ;)

This kind, for some Easter Eve etouffee

jblackburn

:drool:

There you go! Glad to see its not those Chinese crawfish.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Dr Juice

Here's a couple of dumb questions: any special prep necessary? Or do you warm it and chow down?

jblackburn

Quote from: mlisandro on April 04, 2015, 05:28:42 PM
Here's a couple of dumb questions: any special prep necessary? Or do you warm it and chow down?

I guess you could just eat it, but the peeled tails are usually an ingredient, in this case an étouffée.

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Rapscallion Vermilion

I've tried the Chinese stuff before out of desperation.  No comparison, half the price and one-tenth the flavor.

No special prep necessary.  Throw some chopped celery, green peppers, onions and your favorite white, black, and cayenne peppers together with lots of butter into a sauté pan.  When the veggies are about half cooked, add the tails, fat and all.  When that is all cooked, scoop on top of some rice.  I like to start with a nice dark roux though, and go from there to make an étouffée.

albrubacker

Here is what I had for dinner.
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: albrubacker on April 04, 2015, 08:52:12 PM
Here is what I had for dinner.

Mmmm, love them too.  Grew up in New England.

Here's the étouffée.

jblackburn

I just had 3 lbs of mudbugs for supper at a local watering hole.  They were delicious!

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Jbird22

Quote from: jblackburn on April 04, 2015, 09:33:38 PM
I just had 3 lbs of mudbugs for supper at a local watering hole.  They were delicious!
What did you have for the main course after your appetizer?  ;D

jblackburn

Quote from: JBIRD22 on April 04, 2015, 09:39:51 PM

No joke, but they will be cheaper in the next couple days.  I think I found a good lead to get some cheap(er) live ones to have my own boil.

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Jbird22

Quote from: jblackburn on April 04, 2015, 09:50:24 PM

No joke, but they will be cheaper in the next couple days.  I think I found a good lead to get some cheap(er) live ones to have my own boil.
Yep, I'll be glad when Lent is over and the price drops. I've been dying to eat some but can't make myself pay 2.49 lb live or 3.49 cooked. I'd much rather boil my own as well. Can't wait!!!!

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: JBIRD22 on April 04, 2015, 11:05:57 PM
Quote from: jblackburn on April 04, 2015, 09:50:24 PM

Yep, I'll be glad when Lent is over and the price drops. I've been dying to eat some but can't make myself pay 2.49 lb live or 3.49 cooked. I'd much rather boil my own as well. Can't wait!!!!

You guys have got it good.  I'd be happy to pay 2.49/lb live. Heard this year was a better year than last.

Snoodsniper

Where I'm from that's called bait! Seriously though I've never tried them but that plate looks better than anything I've had on mine in a while.

Jbird22

I've come to the conclusion that there's no such thing as a "good year" for crawfish anymore. It's either too dry, too wet, or too cold. This should be a good year for them this year but we'll find out soon after Lent is over. I'm actually hoping to catch my own before too long.

mgm1955

That étouffée looks fantastic!! My favorite dish!!