OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

No turkey yet, but two great days!

Started by Coachwate, April 02, 2015, 08:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coachwate

We opened up yesterday here in SC, and I decided to take a young man with me that I teach. His dad won't be able to take him much because of work and since he has the highest grade in his class I wanted to reward him. Yesterday we had them hammering all around us but when they flew down got real quiet. We waited in an area for about an hour and moved as we were moving to our next spot we walked up on two toms but couldn't shoot because we weren't loaded. We kept at it all day but to no avail. We went out again this morning and it was silent. I mean the song birds weren't even singing. We kept at it though saw three hens and their man on the edge of our plot but they stayed just along the edge out of range. We let them move out moved on ourselves. Went back to where we walked up on those yesterday and heard them moving through the woods tried calling them up the ridge but no dice. I was a little bummed as we hiked out thinking I let him down when he looked at me and said "Thanks Coach Wate. That was the most fun I've had hunting turkey." Well worth and now I'm hooked.

g8rvet

You are in the right place and you are learning how those birds use the area. I like your odds better than theirs.  Good luck from Florida.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

mgm1955

Hopefully another new hunter in the fold thanks to your mentoring!! Very nice of you to do!!

101st501

That sounds like every trip out for me, but I still go back for more.