OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

70 yardish shot 835!?

Started by Easton1986, April 02, 2015, 06:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakesdad

My argument isnt a case of if it can be done,heck such a beast may already exist,but of why would you want to do it? Why would anybody have the desire to shoot at turkeys that far away? Its like using a rifle to shoot a turkey.Big deal.Almost like fishing with dynamite.

Ever seen that show called "Long Range Pursuit"? I will give them guys credit.They design awesome guns and they know them well.They practice........ALOT. They know their weapons like the back of their hand.Then they go out and shoot an elk at 1200 yards. Did it take a great shooterto pull off a shot like that.Sure.Did it take a great hunterto get within 1200 yards? No.

Decide what you would rather be,hunter or shooter,then pick your game accordingly.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Roughneck

Just curious what choke an shell was the guy shooting at 81 yards. Have no desire to shoot that far at all but just the post about it.

Gobble!

Gooserbat

Well I guess I missed this one.  My  :z-twocents: is I've got 2 guns that are 50 yard rigs.  Can I kill one that far? Yes. Have I?  Yes.  Was it as rewarding as the ones I killed at 20?  Not even close. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Snoodsniper

Not sure why people insist on opening this can of worms time and again but some of the posts sure are entertaining.

Ihuntoldschool

Wait a minute here now, I think that kill with that particular brand of choke tube was only 80.5 yards     LOL.    J/K

Easton1986

zelmo1

:popcorn: I have a cure for this post, Easton 1986. Go to your gun club and shoot your hunting load at those longer ranged, put 2 pieces of cardboard behind them, make them big pieces so you can see what happens to a pattern after 40 yards. Then see how many pellets penetrate all the way through. I believe this and common sense will put this to rest :z-twocents: Al Baker

rpinks

I have 3 dedicated turkey guns which I really only need two I just like to keep them when I find a shooter. When I travel to Tennessee or Kansas I like to have a back up that's why i have kept them. Most of what i have learned has been on this site about high performance guns,chokes and shell. Two of those will put mid 140s in a 12 inch circle at 55 yards shooting nitros. I'm 62 years old and I harvested my first deer with a bow when I was 19. Now I have harvested a semi full of deer in my life. 10 years ago due to a accident I  can no longer shoot a bow. 2008 i Harvested a 140 class deer with a 270 at 175 yards. When I walked up to the deer I was sad as i never got that rush of close encounters. That was the last deer I killed and no longer hunt them. I still hunt turkey and waterfowl as much as I can. The birds have to finish for me to be happy. I feel I have to be able to harvest them cleanly and humanly. On geese if they do not drop the legs I don't pull up as I feel I don't deserve to take them. that's how I feel about turkeys. I need them inside 30 yards to feel like I deserve them. Now when I was younger I felt like I had to kill as much as I could legally. I guess its my age now because every time I go hunting its a great day and if I'm fortunate enough to get a bird its a bonus. Just my thoughts.
Thanks, RP

Longshanks

Quote from: Dirt nap on April 03, 2015, 07:51:10 PM
for the guys that wanna just call them in and not kill them and not shoot past 40 why not just take there picture or take a flintlock or even where camo why not just see how dumb they really are....come on guys let him alone go do some house chores

There are allot of turkey's that come inside 40yds that donot present an ethical shot. Experienced hunter don't take bad shots. This doesn't mean that they don't want to harvest the turkey. It just means that they would rather not take a bad shot and risk crippling the turkey. I wish this was more consistent among turkey hunters but it's not. There have been two turkey's shot at this year at my camp where the guys didn't have a good shot but shot anyway. One was a miss and the other knocked the bird down and lost him. I was taught by some of the best turkey hunters in the country to error on the side of the turkey if the shot is questionable. It's all about respect for the Wild Turkey.

DirtNap647

I understand that but I have even seen things go wrong and birds get crippled inside of 40 so....?

Longshanks

That's from either taking a bad shot or just making a bad shot. The idea for me is to do my best to take a high percentage shot to decrease the chances of this happening. Forcing shots and pushing the envelope on distance is asking for bad results. There's not a soul on here I can bet that's calling turkey's up and doesn't want to shoot them. Some folks just take low percentage shots with no respect for the game they hunt. If folks are taking high percentage shots and still have bad results they need to practice and shoot more open patterns.

captin_hook

I apologize if my popcorn and train icons offended you. You obviously don't know what it means. I seen into my crystal ball and knew where this thread was going. I've been here long enough to know when to get ready to read a very controversial post. Your a very well spoken guy and in my opinion handled your post as good as you could have . I did enjoy reading this thread. You seem like a good dude. You made a controversial post, got hammered a little , but handled it well. I have to admit, I did need more popcorn. This was a long one. Happy and safe hunting.
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:. Lol

Easton1986

You too Mrs. Hook! Enjoyed all the bashing and criticism! Hey opinions are like buttholes everyone has one! No harm here! I'm defiantly not going to tuck my tail an run! Good luck an great hunting!

captin_hook