OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

70 yardish shot 835!?

Started by Easton1986, April 02, 2015, 06:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

owlhoot

Quote from: Easton1986 on April 03, 2015, 06:24:37 PM
Longshanks, I went back an hunted the same bird that brought this whole thread up again this morning. He gobbled just like he always does in the same spot. Each hunt I figure him out more an more. Will I  hoot at him at 70 yards no but when he comes in to 30 yes sir!
At 30 yards go ahead and SHOOT him, post the pics please :)

Longshanks

Quote from: Easton1986 on April 03, 2015, 06:24:37 PM
Longshanks, I went back an hunted the same bird that brought this whole thread up again this morning. He gobbled just like he always does in the same spot. He flew down an went the opposite direction   totally different then what he did to make me start this thread. Each hunt I figure him out more an more. Will I  hoot at him at 70 yards no but when he comes in to 30 yes sir!

That's what makes it fun. Normally the gobbler is just going in the direction of the the hen or hens. Can't blame him.. If we could figure them out everytime..wouldn't keep us setting the alarm, dragging ourselves out of bed, making those long walks through the woods in the dark. Hope you get him. Some of the turkey's I remember the most are the ones that took allot of hunts to get. I finally catch him in the right situation and he walks right up in my face gobblin and looking for the hen. Keep at it, make sure the set up is good and forget about stretching the distance with the gun. Crippled bird is the lowest of the low when it comes to experiences in the turkey woods.

Easton1986

Its not about "just the kill" because if it was I could of limited out yesterday from watching birds cross the road and stand there an look at me for countless seconds while I loaded my gun and stepped out of the truck an shot them in the face at 30 yards. But I didn't do that. Apples to oranges guys come on. Shotgun is a shotgun and a rifle is a rifle yes I understand that. But when a man, hunter is confident in himself and his weapon he can set his limits and not exceed them. In the case of shotguns compared to rifles get rid of the red dots scopes chokes new shells an all an go back to the old days because I'll still act like a kid at Christmas opening morning whether I'm toting my 835 or a single shot with no choke!

owlhoot

ok you didn't shoot from the truck. WHY?
You shoot a 44 mag rifle for deer.  WHY?

Tom Foolery

Quote from: Easton1986 on April 03, 2015, 06:34:00 PM
. Apples to oranges guys come on. Shotgun is a shotgun and a rifle is a rifle yes I understand that. But when a man, hunter is confident in himself and his weapon he can set his limits and not exceed them. In the case of shotguns compared to rifles get rid of the red dots scopes chokes new shells an all an go back to the old days because I'll still act like a kid at Christmas opening morning whether I'm toting my 835 or a single shot with no choke!

What are you even talking about?  I agree about knowing your equipment because if you don't you're a fool.

If you understand that it's rifles vs shotguns then you should understand it is apples to oranges.  A red dot doesn't make you pattern better and none of the new production shells with work consistently @ 70yds.  Precision placement vs I hope some of this swarm of pellets hit him.  Velocity to burn vs low velocity, apples vs oranges.

Go shoot 20 patterns at 70yds and see how confident you are in your setup.

chatterbox

I promised myself I wouldn't seriously chime in, but I just have to.
Easton, since it's inception, turkey hunting has and always will be, a close contact sport.
Yeah, early on shotguns were limited by full chokes and lead shot, but even as technology as improved the principle has remained the same. Use solid woodsmanship, and calling to bring him in close and dispatch him with a clean, well placed shot which will disrupt his central nervous system.
Even if there was a factory loaded shell that would dispatch one at 70 yards, that has zero interest for me. Far too much can go wrong for me to leave such a shot to chance, and I do not see ammo companies going in that direction.
You spoke of the Drury brothers and the longbeard shell. IMO, they did a tremendous amount of damage to the sport of turkey hunting by claiming a 70 yard lead killer. BS. They were getting their pockets lined to say these things. You will never, ever have the pattern density, nor pellet penetration at that distance with lead. The longbeard is a fine shell when used within it's limits.
Personally, If 70 becomes the new 40 and I don't see it happening, it will be a very sad day for this sport.
Anyone can pull the trigger and kill one. Calling him into your lap, that's the challenge.
Best of luck to you this season. 

Easton1986

A red dot doesn't help a pattern but chokes an shells do. What if I do shoot 20 targets at 70 yard and hit well every time and penetrate great in ballistic gel. Y'all still don't want me too shoot because he's not sitting in my lap like y'all have had for the past twenty years?  Shooting a turkey out of the truck is wrong but y'all act like I would do that because I would ask a question if a turkey would die shot at at 70 yards. Quit hammering me when I ask a question if you think it would happen. I didn't ask what do y'all think about me when I shot at a turkey this evening at 70 yards an it ran off wounded. Then the admins say over 40 yards is prohibited? I asked a question not a statement. And yes the bashing comes out and the smart comments and the :Popcorns which I love because people believe I'm an idiot for the question I asked and they want to see what goes on. But hey whatever floats ya boat man. I probably will never shoot at turkey over 40 yards cause I have to say that because its prohibited. Man has made it what it is now and he will continue to make it in the future.

jakesdad

If you shoot 20 times at 70 yds and it patterns well and penetrates great in ballastic gel please post it here.We'd all love to see it. But since it cant be done stick to ethical and reasonable ranges or pick a different hobby. There are far too many people out there looking for the easier way to success,and that applies to more than just turkey guns or hunting in general. If a load,choke combo existed that could do these things at 70 yds the wannabes on TV would already be totin it.And no the Drurys and the Win Longbeards dont cut it either regardless of what TV says.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Longshanks

Quote from: Easton1986 on April 03, 2015, 07:11:34 PM
A red dot doesn't help a pattern but chokes an shells do. What if I do shoot 20 targets at 70 yard and hit well every time and penetrate great in ballistic gel. Y'all still don't want me too shoot because he's not sitting in my lap like y'all have had for the past twenty years?  Shooting a turkey out of the truck is wrong but y'all act like I would do that because I would ask a question if a turkey would die shot at at 70 yards. Quit hammering me when I ask a question if you think it would happen. I didn't ask what do y'all think about me when I shot at a turkey this evening at 70 yards an it ran off wounded. Then the admins say over 40 yards is prohibited? I asked a question not a statement. And yes the bashing comes out and the smart comments and the :Popcorns which I love because people believe I'm an idiot for the question I asked and they want to see what goes on. But hey whatever floats ya boat man. I probably will never shoot at turkey over 40 yards cause I have to say that because its prohibited. Man has made it what it is now and he will continue to make it in the future.

Just curious..don't want to argue with you..but why is your focus to shoot at 70yds or to think that what you need to get it done consistently is long range shooting.  Extending your range is not gonna teach you anything about turkey hunting or make you a better hunter. I would put my focus on all of the aspects of turkey hunting that help to get a gobbler inside 40yds. Set-up, concealment, when to call/when not to call, when to call aggressively or not, when to change position, etc. improving my turkey hunting skills over the years had nothing to do with trying to shoot farther. I have set up better patterning guns inside 40yds over the years and limit out every year. There are some awesome people and hunters on this website with invaluable information about turkey hunting. If you don't want their suggestions..don't ask them. All the best to you in the turkey woods.

Easton1986

Quote from: jakesdad on April 03, 2015, 07:21:56 PM
If you shoot 20 times at 70 yds and it patterns well and penetrates great in ballastic gel please post it here.We'd all love to see it. But since it cant be done stick to ethical and reasonable ranges or pick a different hobby. There are far too many people out there looking for the easier way to success,and that applies to more than just turkey guns or hunting in general. If a load,choke combo existed that could do these things at 70 yds the wannabes on TV would already be totin it.And no the Drurys and the Win Longbeards dont cut it either regardless of what TV says.
I'm not basing my opinions and options off dury outdoors and there reviews. I would very much rather have him at 30 in my face then 70. I was just curious if it has or could be done. Like I said I believe notice I said I that it can be done better in the future.

Easton1986

And it being able to be done in the future doesn't mean I'm going to do it.

owlhoot

You didn't shoot at 70 at the tom.  Great.
You didn't shoot at the road in the truck. Great.
You started asking about 70 yard shots. Which to most means you want to try it on it a live bird.
Most would not like to you to try it. They know it is not a good idea.
Many have been posting for years , many over 1000 posts.
If any start about 70 yards , any of us is gonna get schooled fast.
Popcorn means controversial subject i guess , this one is going to get rolling.Not idiot.

jakesdad

Personally I hope such a gun/load/choke combo like that never exists. Like somebody said earlier,turkey hunting was and is a close range sport. You develop something like that then every yahoo in the world thinks they can start shooting turkeys at 70 yds with a shotgun.Whats next...100 yd turkey guns. These ultra long range guns are going to lead people down the same path ultra realistic decoys and pop up blinds did.....its the only way they know how to hunt.Anything wrong with using them? Nope.But take them away and you see how one dimensional they are. Using a gun whether it ever it exists or not that shoots like that and you become nothing but a turkey shooter;not a turkey hunter.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

DirtNap647

for the guys that wanna just call them in and not kill them and not shoot past 40 why not just take there picture or take a flintlock or even where camo why not just see how dumb they really are....come on guys let him alone go do some house chores

Tracker760

Funny thing is. There's a choke tube maker on this very forum that has a video up of a 81 yard shot.

Now as far as killing. I do know for a fact that htl Winchester #6 will kill a goose at 70 yards. Back when I was goose hunting, I carried my turkey tube and a few of my turkey loads. It worked a lot better than 6 guys throwing 18 more rounds of steel shot at a wounded bird on the water.