turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

70 yardish shot 835!?

Started by Easton1986, April 02, 2015, 06:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Easton1986

Never asked if it was ethical! Guns have came a long way and so have shells even if you have a picture of a cracked choke! Its man made! Man made stuff fails all the time an always will. People miss all the time an even wound birds at 20 yards. Goes back to knowing your weapon and keeping things in check! Take a gun that takes 2 minutes to load from back in the day an now you can shoot 5 shells in 2 seconds that's improvement!

Easton1986

I see what your saying. An I'm not trying to sound hateful mean rude sarcastic. I'm trying to defend myself now that everyone believes and thinks i'm a idiot at turkey hunting because I was asking if it could happen. I know what could happen but I was asking other people's opinions on the subject.

jakesdad

"I wasnt saying I was going to shoot one that far just wondering if it could happen more less."

The problem with that is once you've tried it once on paper and yet get a few lucky hits on a target or worse yet you luck out and kill a bird that far,the next time that shot presents itself there is always going to be that little voice that says "it worked once before why not try it again". I don't see shotshell/shotgun technology ever advancing to the point where 70 yd shots will become the "norm" and 40 yds will seem like 20 yd slam dunks.A single projectile is one thing,but hundreds of little pellets that standing alone dont possess the ability to kill ethically at those ranges is a different animal in itself.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

owlhoot

Was not directed specifically at you.  You only had the question.
The 10 percent has been quoted on here in other replies to similar questions and by winchester.
Interesting about 44 mag, its a neat cartridge . the .45 colt has killed alot of deer too, so all good.
Now the lead  shotgun pellet at at 1050+fps is the same as the lead pellet has been for a very long time.
Anything could happen at that distance, doesn't matter if the lead pellet  came from the mighty 10 gauge or the puny .410 bore, what does matter is if it is wise to try?
Once he is wounded and gone that is it. He wont be there to try call in later.
No turkey breast , no fan,beard or spurs, pictures or good stories to tell. Just a bad memory.
Now good luck this season. Go get that ole tom to 25-30 yards(you know you can do it). And looking forward to seeing them pics on here.

Easton1986

I don't believe 70 yard shot will become the "norm" but I believe 70 yard shots are capable an more capable in the near future.

Easton1986

jakesdad

Quote from: Easton1986 on April 03, 2015, 04:59:51 PM
I don't believe 70 yard shot will become the "norm" but I believe 70 yard shots are capable an more capable in the near future.

With what? I don't see anything ever being designed that can hold both pattern density and retain enough energy at that range that can be fired from a shotgun.I feel sorry for anybody now or in the future that thinks they need a 70 yd shotgun to hunt turkeys whether its capable or not.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Easton1986

Don't need a 70 yard gun. I personally see shells getting better gun and the chokes to produce kill shots at that range. I believe we have that now in the correct setup. Was it two three years ago when Drury outdoors did a review of win lbs? Well anyways federal matched win with there 3rd degrees. Its a competitive market to survive now and with that comes advancement and I see it happenening.

jakesdad

I'm not going to pull any punches here but anybody who shoots at a turkey that far whether your gun/shell/choke is capable or not is a slob hunter in my book and will never get any kind of respect from me.

Easton1986

Basically your telling me I'm wrong for killing a deer at a hundred yards even though my gun is capable of shooting 300 and I should wait till he gets right under my stand at 20 yards? I'm not being a smartelic but if I able to shoot that far an be able to kill that far and make a ethical shot I'm gonna do it. Its about the kill not taking a selfie with a turkey in your lap until the deal is done. I'm voicing my opioion man not being a butt about it. That's the way I look at it. But a 20 yard shot is better then a 70 yard shot cause he's just that much closer. An thats not to say you don't miss cause your pattern is way to tight am ya aim was off.

Longshanks

The greatest experience for me in turkey hunting is having the turkey within 30yds gobblin looking for the hen. After 40+ years of turkey hunting that still gets the heart pumping, accelerated breathing and the hands shaking.  Had a turkey at 45yds yesterday with about an 8"beard. Could have shot, not the best shot. 50/50 I would have killed him. Let him walk. Awesome hunt, didn't take the shot because it wasn't a high percentage shot/ limbs, turkey walking headed off a hill etc. Gonna go back and hunt him tomorrow. I know where he is and the route he has taken two mornings in a row. It's all good. Good situation that could have turned sour had I tryed to force the shot.

Tom Foolery

Comparing a rifle at distance to a shotgun at distance is apples to oranges.  Rifle bullets can be placed precisely, shotgun patterns can not.  Pattern densities changes from shot to shot by sometimes fairly large margins and you never know how a small pellet with react to various forces as it flies.  Rifle bullets can be better judged through the use of a good ballistics calculator and by getting out and shooting along with having total control of your setup through proper reloading techniques.

I shoot on steel out to 800yds, my personal limit on animals is 400yds with a rifle and everything would have to be about perfect for that to happen.

Easton1986

Longshanks, I went back an hunted the same bird that brought this whole thread up again this morning. He gobbled just like he always does in the same spot. He flew down an went the opposite direction   totally different then what he did to make me start this thread. Each hunt I figure him out more an more. Will I  hoot at him at 70 yards no but when he comes in to 30 yes sir!

jakesdad

Quote from: Easton1986 on April 03, 2015, 06:01:57 PM
Basically your telling me I'm wrong for killing a deer at a hundred yards even though my gun is capable of shooting 300 and I should wait till he gets right under my stand at 20 yards? I'm not being a smartelic but if I able to shoot that far an be able to kill that far and make a ethical shot I'm gonna do it. Its about the kill not taking a selfie with a turkey in your lap until the deal is done. I'm voicing my opioion man not being a butt about it. That's the way I look at it. But a 20 yard shot is better then a 70 yard shot cause he's just that much closer. An thats not to say you don't miss cause your pattern is way to tight am ya aim was off.

You're comparing apples to oranges here.Shooting a single projectile and shooting pellets are 2 entirely different things altogether. Way too many variables to even try a shot like that that have nothing to do with your gun being capable.Turkey moves,wind speeds,terrain,etc. A 30-06 is capable of 1000 yd + shots ,snipers used em during WWII.Does it mean I should be blasting away at 1000 just because my gun is capable?If its just about the kill to you then you're really missing out.

owlhoot

Quote from: Easton1986 on April 03, 2015, 06:01:57 PM
Maybe the opposite? Your rifle is good to 300, whatever that rifle is. If you shot deer at 100 with it, that would be a good thing. You are not taking chances with the animal pushing the rifle to it accuracy , power or your personal ability. Ok so now you got a future turkey gun and load  that shoots , lets say 60 yards with pattern and penetration. Do you use it to its absolute maximum? Or a little less to insure enough for the game?