turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

70 yardish shot 835!?

Started by Easton1986, April 02, 2015, 06:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ihuntoldschool

I cannot even stand to watch those hunting shows or videos anymore.  Their ethics and respect for the quarry went out the window a long time ago.   All about trying to sell you some newest, latest, greatest, piece of crap you don't need.  If people didn't buy their crap they wouldn't be able to run all over the country making videos to promote their kill at all cost mentality.   All about the almighty dollar.  These people are disgusting.

Easton1986

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on April 03, 2015, 01:31:26 PM
I cannot even stand to watch those hunting shows or videos anymore.  Their ethics and respect for the quarry went out the window a long time ago.   All about trying to sell you some newest, latest, greatest, piece of crap you don't need.  If people didn't buy their crap they wouldn't be able to run all over the country making videos to promote their kill at all cost mentality.   All about the almighty dollar.  These people are disgusting.
I agree 100% old school. Don't get me wrong its hunting shows or bluegrass is on the TV all the time at home. But half the stuff that's come out now-a-days is off the wall. I'm just going back to the choke gun shell spectrum. I was just wondering if what "we" have now was capable of making a kill at 70. But these people act like I'm a gangbanger "bussin capps" at every bird I see in the woods an I'm not that person, an don't plan to be. But I reckon you could say I got that mentality from those choke and shell commercials but I know what my gun is capable of and how it shoots. Which a lot of people now-a-days don't even pattern anymore and just put a shell choke in an go. Half the people I know don't even "sight in" their shotgun.

Ihuntoldschool

Easton, you are right.     They are giving our sport a bad name with the influence they have. Newcomers to the sport see them blast away at birds way out of range, finally finish the bird after hitting it three times and are led to believe that this is ethical or responsible.  It just sickens me to where I have to turn it off.  Most of them are purely advertising and self promotion, I get the fact that thats how they make their money but that is the only thing they care about.  Ethics? Not hardly

chatterbox

I can't even see 70 yards, so my calling better be good! ;D

Easton1986

Quote from: chatterbox on April 03, 2015, 02:06:04 PM
I can't even see 70 yards, so my calling better be good! ;D
I can see 70 yards but my calling isn't good! ;)

jakesdad

Even if a gun could produce a killable pattern at 70 yds and the pellets retain enough ft lbs at that range,the one thing very few if any people take into consideration is how much a turkeys head can move from the time you pull the trigger until the shot arrives to its intended target.A turkeys head is always bobbin around like a soda can in a wind storm anyway.Glad to see you explain what your intentions were Easton1986 and it seems you are on the right path,and you're right,sometimes its hard not to get caught up in the hype,especially if you're new to the sport.I do admit if I had a super tight shooting setup it would be interesting to see just what it could do on paper way out there.But for me its a game of "how close" not "how far".

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Easton1986

Quote from: jakesdad on April 03, 2015, 02:21:30 PM
Even if a gun could produce a killable pattern at 70 yds and the pellets retain enough ft lbs at that range,the one thing very few if any people take into consideration is how much a turkeys head can move from the time you pull the trigger until the shot arrives to its intended target.A turkeys head is always bobbin around like a soda can in a wind storm anyway.Glad to see you explain what your intentions were Easton1986 and it seems you are on the right path,and you're right,sometimes its hard not to get caught up in the hype,especially if you're new to the sport.I do admit if I had a super tight shooting setup it would be interesting to see just what it could do on paper way out there.But for me its a game of "how close" not "how far".
I agree how close not how far! Hearing the bass in a gobble and sitting in your lap is priceless. Technology now I wouldn't be suprised that in ten years 70 yards will be a given and people will be saying 40 yards is in your lap not 20 like it is now. Things evolve in my hunting aspect. People calls guns etc etc............ But one thing never will is for that bird to be gobbling close enough to hear the bass in him or the spitting an drummin!

captin_hook

Easton1986

I'm getting a kick out of :Popcorns! Y'all making me laugh!

Easton1986

:Popcorns are against the rules! ;)

TauntoHawk

a great pattern at 40 can fall apart by just 45 or 50 inside 10in at 60 and 70 that great 40 pattern isnt a pattern its a few lonely pellets that are slowing down in a hurry.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Easton1986

Completely understandable.

worth612000

This is how far technology has gotten. A good hunt doesn't require a kill.

owlhoot

Wow , ethics and TV shows, shell companies.  That's why 70 yard shots are in question.
What about respect for the grand old birds.

Well heck all ya need is 3 in the head , 1 in the head. Who needs many in the 10".
But heck it from a longbeard so its lead penetrates 10 percent better because they say so.
Heck slow the velocity down and they are even better, it all good.
Do not  know why someone would ask about long shots? Or be out there trying it?

Sorry about the sarcasm , but read about on here often enough lately.
So do a bunch of newcomers i would think.
So maybe that's why those who run this sight ask people to refrain from pro- long distance talk.
And many more here support it.
:z-twocents:
But heck whatever works for you. :anim_25:

Easton1986

Never said longbeards would penetrate 10% better. Matter of fact never heard that they did. They pattern very well out of my gun is the only reason longbeards got brought in the situation. I shoot a 44mag deer hunting also in a rifle and killed one this year the furthest I've ever shot one with it at 115 yards. Know your gun know weapon and anything is possible with the right combination. Who would have thought Remington made a rifle in a pistol caliber that would shot groups that it does at a 100 yards. Guns have come a long way and things to make them more accurate and effective has also. I wasnt saying I was going to shoot one that far just wondering if it could happen more less.