OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

70 yardish shot 835!?

Started by Easton1986, April 02, 2015, 06:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

I just don't understand this what so ever. I guess I'm old school and believe doing battle wit a gobbler is just that. We try to fool him to withen a kill zone that is close quarters. If we do , we win . If we don't he wins. The fun of the sport is getting him in close. I have never even considered taking a shot anywhere near that distance. It's at a point where people just have to kill a turkey. To each his own , but I'm going to keep doing it the way my grandpa taught me. When I squeeze that trigger , it will be a clean shot. If I do my part it will be a flopping bird. I will not lose one due to pushing the limits on my gun. I will just take my butt whipping like a grown man. Turkey won today , next time I'm gonna win. To me it is a chess match. I don't have to kill every bird I see. I like to kill them like everyone else , but on the same note , it's not necessary to me in order to have a great hunt. Good day.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Dr Juice

70-yards is way over the effective range. In addition, the distance could have been further since there was no mention of a range finder. It's worth it to let him walk to meet him another day. Perhaps a lot closer. Good luck.

jakesdad

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 03, 2015, 06:19:15 AM
I just don't understand this what so ever. I guess I'm old school and believe doing battle wit a gobbler is just that. We try to fool him to withen a kill zone that is close quarters. If we do , we win . If we don't he wins. The fun of the sport is getting him in close. I have never even considered taking a shot anywhere near that distance. It's at a point where people just have to kill a turkey. To each his own , but I'm going to keep doing it the way my grandpa taught me. When I squeeze that trigger , it will be a clean shot. If I do my part it will be a flopping bird. I will not lose one due to pushing the limits on my gun. I will just take my butt whipping like a grown man. Turkey won today , next time I'm gonna win. To me it is a chess match. I don't have to kill every bird I see. I like to kill them like everyone else , but on the same note , it's not necessary to me in order to have a great hunt. Good day.

Its the TV mentality of a lot of "hunters" today.Got to get one at all cost or you arent a real hunter.If you dont have the latest and greatest you have no chance at success.Relying on skills and patience to work a bird in close for a clean kill is slowly becoming a thing of the past it seems.Its sad to see people that if you take away their blinds,decoys, and ultra tight scoped shotguns are about as helpless as a newborn baby as they have no clue what to do.Sad  :(

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Easton1986

Jakesdad I'm shooting 3.5 lb #6 with Indian creek choke tube. The shot crossed my mind in a sense is this possible. I didn't take shot an not going to. Penetration at 70yd yes but pattern I would be interested in seeing what hit at 70. Just because I shoot it at 70 to see what hits doesn't mean I'll do it in the woods. Technology has came a long way from when it first started and y'all have to agree but that also doesn't mean think outside the box like I did. But anything is possible. Shells guns chokes have come a long way from what they use to be back in the day. And for the rules I didn't know of speaking over 40 was a rule breaker. I've looked for it and can't find but my Tapatalk app has been updated 4 times in the past month and I can't find stuff I use to be able too find. I'm not a veteran hunter and never will claim to be like some of y'all gentlemen are. I'm not trying to be a smart butt or rude. Good luck hunting fellas hope it works out for you.

outdoors

INTERESTING TOPIC
IVE READ ALOT OF  LONG SHOTS
                     BOWS
               BLACK POWDER
       AND KILLING SHOTS AT 600 YRDS WITH A RIFLE , THATS NOT HUNTING
        AND SHOTGUNS
THE WAY THESE BOWS @ GUNS ARE BEING MADE TO SHOT LONGER AND BETTER
IM BEGING TO WANDER IS THERE NO END TO THIS ?.....
IT'S JUST BECOMING KILLING NOT  HUNTING ...........
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

jakesdad

Quote from: Easton1986 on April 03, 2015, 07:54:51 AM
Jakesdad I'm shooting 3.5 lb #6 with Indian creek choke tube. The shot crossed my mind in a sense is this possible. I didn't take shot an not going to. Penetration at 70yd yes but pattern I would be interested in seeing what hit at 70. Just because I shoot it at 70 to see what hits doesn't mean I'll do it in the woods. Technology has came a long way from when it first started and y'all have to agree but that also doesn't mean think outside the box like I did. But anything is possible. Shells guns chokes have come a long way from what they use to be back in the day. And for the rules I didn't know of speaking over 40 was a rule breaker. I've looked for it and can't find but my Tapatalk app has been updated 4 times in the past month and I can't find stuff I use to be able too find. I'm not a veteran hunter and never will claim to be like some of y'all gentlemen are. I'm not trying to be a smart butt or rude. Good luck hunting fellas hope it works out for you.

Easton1986-
   I meant nothing personal towards you by my post. And I agree,technology has come a long way.I wont get into the discussion of what parts are good and what parts arent. Shells and chokes have come a long way,leaps and bounds over what we had even 10-15 years ago. But even with the highest "tech" stuff coming from guys who have done this for a loooooooong time,50 yds is about as far as the envelope is pushed.I do applaud you for thinking outside the box;not so much as in the shooting distance;but it shows you are willing to try something new which to me is a good step to becoming a good turkey hunter. I hope these posts didnt leave a bad taste in your mouth as there are lots of good people here willing to help.You'll be subject to some ridicule at times but after a while you'll see 99% is not geared towards you personally so please dont take it as such. Welcome to the forum and hope to see you on here more.Dont be afraid to ask about anything here either!!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Easton1986

No harm taken input is awesome!

foxred1962

People can brag about the long shots but those aren't the birds you remember for good reasons... It is all about the ones that test your will every day and humble you in the process. The best birds are the ones that you can identify my best was a gobbler missing a feather in his tail fan... I chased him for two weeks every day before I finally got him to strut behind his hens just in range and the rest was history !!! The other one my dad had worked for what seemed years it cost him over a months worth of vacation and one morning dad set up 80 yds behind me and the sneaky old timer came sneaking in circling dad and looking and I got him.... We didn't know until I put my foot on his head and dad got there and we saw the Spurs 1 7/8" and we celebrated like kids at Christmas !!! The best birds test ones will daily but are so worth the reward I hate cheaters... People who carry rifles especially over/unders just in case the bird won't come all the way in... What kind of a memory is that ? But somebody will brag about being a sniper instead of a hunter inevitably

Gobble!

Quote from: Easton1986 on April 03, 2015, 07:54:51 AM

I think you meant no. Lead #6 at 70 yards, no way.

Easton1986

Winchester long beard 3.5 number 6s in 835 with Indian Creek  choke tube. Counted them twice and wife did also. 312 in 10inch circle at 40 yds.

Gobble!

Quote from: Easton1986 on April 03, 2015, 09:54:14 AM
Winchester long beard 3.5 number 6s in 835 with Indian Creek  choke tube. Counted them twice and wife did also. 312 in 10inch circle at 40 yds.

Smoking pattern no doubt about that.
There was a time I believed that pattern density would fail before pellet penetration for lead but these Long Beards are changing that.

DirtNap647

we shot our guns at 72yards at flu metal just for curiousity with the longbeard 5 shot I think you guys would be impressed

snapper1982

Quote from: jakesdad on April 03, 2015, 07:39:01 AM
Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 03, 2015, 06:19:15 AM

Its the TV mentality of a lot of "hunters" today.Got to get one at all cost or you arent a real hunter.If you dont have the latest and greatest you have no chance at success.Relying on skills and patience to work a bird in close for a clean kill is slowly becoming a thing of the past it seems.Its sad to see people that if you take away their blinds,decoys, and ultra tight scoped shotguns are about as helpless as a newborn baby as they have no clue what to do.Sad  :(

Yep. I saw an episode of primos the other day and jimmy shot a really long shot. Hit the bird with the first 2 and wounded him then finally knocked him down with the third. Then was laughing about it and said that's why we put 3 in the gun. Absolutely ridiculous!

bbcoach

Outdoor TV mentality and shotshell manufacturers are why this is coming about.  It's about selling product or making money producing shows.  Turkey hunting should be about outsmarting and calling a bird into your lap, not killing a bird so you can BRAG about it.  It should be about hearing him spit and drum at 20 yards or gobbling at 10 yards and feeling the hair stand up on the back of your neck.  Killing him should take a back seat to having a CLOSE intimate experience with him!   :z-twocents:

the Ward

April Fool's  is on the 1st .....