OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

70 yardish shot 835!?

Started by Easton1986, April 02, 2015, 06:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Easton1986

No I didn't shoot 70yds at a turkey, but thought real hard about it this morning. Worked the bird for 2 hours before we actually seen him, he showed himself over a ridge. Clear shot all they way too him. I patterned my gun at 40 with 312 in a ten inch circle and its dead on with poa and poi. Just curious if it would happen. I've seen one shot at 60-65 yards before. Not really looking for any bashing either fellas just looking for your input and maybe some of yalls longest kill shots. I'm interested I'm setting up a target and shooting 70 now after the situation arose this morning.

jordanz7935

No talk past 40yds on here per forum rules.70yds......Are you serious???? Why dont you just hunt with a scoped rifle? Call him closer next time is the best advice i can give you. :popcorn:

captin_hook

bbcoach

This isn't a bashing response but on Old Gobbler we don't talk about shots over 40 yards.  I would never take a shot at a turkey at 70 yards even though my 835 puts up 300+ of Hevi 7's at 40.  To me turkey hunting is about getting them in close so that I have an ethical kill not an injured bird at a range that my shot won't pattern well and loses to much energy.  Let him walk and try him another day!!!!     

taylorjones20

Alive only by the Grace Of God

Tom Foolery

Quote from: Easton1986 on April 02, 2015, 06:00:29 PM
No I didn't shoot 70yds at a turkey, but thought real hard about it this morning. Worked the bird for 2 hours before we actually seen him, he showed himself over a ridge. Clear shot all they way too him. I patterned my gun at 40 with 312 in a ten inch circle and its dead on with poa and poi. Just curious if it would happen. I've seen one shot at 60-65 yards before. Not really looking for any bashing either fellas just looking for your input and maybe some of yalls longest kill shots. I'm interested I'm setting up a target and shooting 70 now after the situation arose this morning.

This post can only mean one thing.......

stringtalker

When I was taught to hunt, I was told, make sure of your shot, make sure its a clear shot, know that you have the confidence to make the shot, and to be ethical about it. When we say shotgun we automatically think short range gun or we should. That's the fun of the sport of turkey hunting, calling them in close to look them in the eye and to make a close short range shot. Season opens here in Tennessee this Saturday and I plan on doing just that, good hunting guys!!!!
Douglas

laker

At a range like that i would doubt that pellet count in a 10" circle would be a real concern. I would be more worried about having the velocity to actually kill. Either way 40 should be everyone's limit in my opinion.

Ihuntoldschool

Unbelievable.  Every single reply is spot on.

Crappiepro

Birdyblaster

Would Hevi 7's even break bones at 70 yards?  I've had some of them stay in corrugated cardboard at 40.  Patience grasshopper, there's always tomorrow...

Gobble!

I assume you have never patterned your gun at 70 yards and were just going to hope for the best? What shells are you shooting that makes you think that's even a good idea? If you go by the 1.25" penetration into gel rule nothing except TSS is going to put up 312 at 40yards and still have enough energy to kill a turkey at 70.

jakesdad

Really??The idea that you even thought of doing it is ridiculous. If you cant wait to call in a bird any closer than that to take a shot for any other reason than because you "saw a bird taken at 60-65 once" then you need to pick another hobby.Thats how birds end up as free coyote lunches by idiots taking stupid pot shots like that at em.

I know several of the TSS guys have taken birds at distances longer than what we are allowed to discuss here,and yes with the proper set up its very doable,but nobody who truly enjoys turkey hunting takes shots on a "guess i'll pull the trigger and see what happens" .I'd like to know what it is you're shooting to get 312 in a 10" at 40 if its not TSS

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Old Gobbler

Problem with turkey hunting is that most of the folks that have crossed over from other hunting sports are mostly deer hunters with a rifle shot mindset , or long shot on a bow mindset -shotguns are a whole different story folks

-a turkey gun is not a rifle bullet , and it's not a razor sharp broadhead -your killing a turkey with a quickly diminishing pattern of very small pellets hardly the size of a ...well ... a pellet -

Go and stand outside in a open area and hold a #4 or 7 size pellet in the palm of your hand , look at it , then raise your eyes up at ..50 ,60 ,70 and farther ...so far out not even people with good eyesight can tell if the object they are shooting is a jake,hen or gobbler and figure that , that pellet has to be forced into that turkeys skull at great force , to kill him cleanly , the only way to do this is to hit that gobbler with a large swarm of them moving very quickly - past 40 yards...your chances got a whole lot worse

People who have shot hundreds of cases of shotgun ammo at live birds and the like will tell you , past 40 yards even in ideal conditions your killing effectiveness drops off by each yard , again a shotgun is not a rifle projectile it's a spray of very small pellets that does have a limitation -- I promise you this....start shooting at gobblers past 40 yards all the time and you will have some bad experiences,  probably not the kind you will share or brag about to people your trying to impress

If I had t he choice of being a very good turkey caller with a 410 shotgun or ....being a poor caller with the state of the art shotgun , I'd be the good caller every time
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

WV TURKEY THUG

might as well use a rifle at that distance. but seems like everytime i use a rifle a bird comes into close range. making it near impossible to get in ur scope. if i would have had a shotgun he would of been history, so i tend to stick to shotguns any more. a savage 24 a i believe thats what its called 22 hornet over 12 gauge would seem to be a turkey slayer.