OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

So close yet too far

Started by Getdrove101, April 02, 2015, 11:28:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Getdrove101

In the pursuit of my first turkey and in my 3rd season, it almost lined up this morning. Bird gobbled twice on the roost. Pitched down and henned up instantly. Moved on him and watched him work his way to 52 steps. He got in a half strut and worked his hens for about an hour. Once the hens were bred he got in the woods beside me, never giving me a shot at about 30 steps twice. Finally some cows worked their way to our little corner of the field and he passed in from of me at about 70 yards getting out of the cows way. I couldn't get back on him when he left the field. Too thick and he was headed across property line. I think I'll try him again soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KYFrid

Keep after em buddy.. Sounds like its just a matter of time before it all comes together for you...

Getdrove101

Last year I had one hang up about 60 yards in almost the exact same spot. Hoping once hens are bred he be a little more willing to play. Gotta go to work so it'll be Monday morning before I can try him again so hopefully he hangs in the same area and the hens leave him alone. Once the hens are bred will he keep his same roost area or move on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TauntoHawk

Maybe try a jake or strutting decoy
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dr Juice

Bowguy

I say try some gobbler sounds on him

mgm1955

Keep working him and he'll get close and you'll get him. Good luck!!

101st501

I feel your pain.  I have been after the same bird for almost two weeks.  Everyday I go after him and everyday he does something different.  His days are numbered, though.

zelmo1

Don't give up. I commend you for not trying a tough shot. You will get him. Good luck