OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Walking up on a snake.

Started by deerbasshunter3, April 02, 2015, 01:09:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

This has probably been covered, but is it true that most snakes will get away from you before you even see it?

bammerslammer 50

Never hung out long enough to find out. I can tell you they haven't been faster than me yet.  :emoticon-cartoon-012:

camotoe

Walked up on this one Saturday , harmless garter snake.

2eagles

Carrying out a bird and all my gear from a river bottom hunt last year, I came across a Massasauga Rattlesnake hiding in tall grass. It's only the second one I've seen in my life even though I spend a lot of time in their habitat. Being stupid and it was quite cold that morning, I felt the need to investigate. Laid down my stuff and picked him up with my gun barrel. He was buzzing like crazy, but moving real slow. Tried to get a pic with my antique cell phone, but it didn't turn out. Massasauga rattlesnakes are protected in Iowa, so it was a catch & release that morning.

SouthernHunter

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on April 02, 2015, 01:09:13 AM
This has probably been covered, but is it true that most snakes will get away from you before you even see it?

This is normally true, but in early spring when temps can be low, they may be a little sluggish and let you walk up on them.  Keeping an eye out after you setup might be more important.

hoyt

I've been struck at many times by poisonous snakes..mostly cottonmouths. Every time I can remember I was walking fast and would have stepped on the snake or walked right over it.

I can tell you from experience it's a very hard physical maneuver to jump back and twist your body all the way around at the same time when your front foot is off the ground coming down with almost all your weight going forward...but it can be done.

The last time I did it was due to a cottonmouth almost as big as the one in picture..which was about 4" dia. (one in pic. and biggest cottonmouth I've ever seen). It didn't strike and I almost stepped on it before it more less floundered off and then got into a coil. I first thought it was a baby gator it was so big around. I didn't kill it..or the big one that struck..I was running late getting to where I wanted to hunt or I would have since it struck at me. It was laying on some maidencane and  struck high up towards my chest with that big white mouth wide open...I even made some kinda screech type noise as I twisted around.

kjnengr

In my experience they either try to get away or let you pass them if you are a reasonable distance from them. 

However, if you do like hoyt and jump on top of them they will strike.  That sounds like some quick moves you pulled hoyt.

chcltlabz

The Matrix has nothing on a turkey hunter avoiding a snake or spider web!

Every one I've come up on either got out of dodge or let me know he was there.  Rattlers are obvious, but I've had other snakes rattle the leaves with their tail to imitate a rattler, which believe me, is every bit as effective.

Then there are cottonmouths.  Nastiest, meanest things on the planet I think.  I've had them come full tilt at me, and man, are they fast in the water.  I'll ruin a hunt (and a pair of shorts) by unloading a whole tube of hevishot when they come, and if they're more than a pile of goo, I'm reloading and repeating.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: hoyt on April 02, 2015, 08:54:15 AM
I've been struck at many times by poisonous snakes..mostly cottonmouths. Every time I can remember I was walking fast and would have stepped on the snake or walked right over it.

I can tell you from experience it's a very hard physical maneuver to jump back and twist your body all the way around at the same time when your front foot is off the ground coming down with almost all your weight going forward...but it can be done.

The last time I did it was due to a cottonmouth almost as big as the one in picture..which was about 4" dia. (one in pic. and biggest cottonmouth I've ever seen). It didn't strike and I almost stepped on it before it more less floundered off and then got into a coil. I first thought it was a baby gator it was so big around. I didn't kill it..or the big one that struck..I was running late getting to where I wanted to hunt or I would have since it struck at me. It was laying on some maidencane and  struck high up towards my chest with that big white mouth wide open...I even made some kinda screech type noise as I twisted around.

Did you, by any chance, post that picture on archerytalk?

Ihuntoldschool

Copperheads are the worst, I don't generally get any warning from them.  Rattlesnakes generally let you know they are there when you get to close.

NJFF6925

Come across a few pine snakes!

roboto65

Well I have no fear of snakes but jumping and screaming like a little girl is par for the course if you get surprised by one and he is close.  :TooFunny:  I bought some new hunting boots this year that are snake proof.

hoyt

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on April 02, 2015, 10:13:24 AM
Quote from: hoyt on April 02, 2015, 08:54:15 AM

Did you, by any chance, post that picture on archerytalk?

I probably did. I like to post pics when I have them. Haven't been taking many pictures these days. I don't see the variety of critters where I'm at now in S. Il. as I did in the Fl. swamps.

g8rvet

I sat down while scouting one morning and had a copperhead come right to me. I just sat still until he moseyed on by.  I looked around for something large enough to bash him with, but I could not find a limb bigger than 12" (I was in a chop). No gun of course since I was scouting.  For a copperhead, he was HUGE. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

deerbasshunter3

So, its not like snakes are out looking to bite you?

A snake will generally only bite a person if they accidentally step on them or are stupid enough to be trying to pick them up/play with them?

I assume that if you are sitting on the ground and you see a snake approaching when it is too late to get up, the best thing to do is sit still and let it go about its business?