OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Need help with a copper pot

Started by NoogaVFL, April 01, 2015, 08:56:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoogaVFL

I posted this over in the main call forum but thought that it might do a little bit better here in the pot call forum  :help:

Hey all, been lurking here for quite a while. I'm not much of a talker on message boards, but I have an issue that I just can't seem to figure out.

I bought a copper pot from a very reputable custom call maker a few weeks ago. I have a bloodwood striker and an ironwood striker. I've conditioned it according to how Mike Yingling mentions in his Youtube video as well as what I read on an old thread on this forum. However, I just can't seem to get it to sound right. I've tried cleaning the striker tips, roughing them up a little bit with 320 grit, Scotchbrite, etc. It just sounds kinda "dead". It's really hard to explain what the issue is. I can't seem to get much rollover on the yelps but the clucks sound great (especially the cackles).

Am I missing something? The only other pot I own is an old Primos Power Crystal.

If you guys have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer. I'm just troubleshooting this so that I'm ready to go for Tennessee's opener on Saturday.

Thanks!

BABS9

I would maybe contact the call maker you got it from and just tell him about the issues you have. Could be a problem with the call and im sure he will make it right.

870BkWht

Copper is probably the least forgiving of all pot call surfaces to maintain and in my opinion it can take some getting used to how to make it play. I have a Yingling copper made from persimmon and it sings. Usually with copper a lighter touch and less striker pressure is needed.

Hope this helps

Snoodsniper

Yep light touch is the way to go. My Yingling copper makes beautiful turkey music. Bloodwood should work good.

BABS9

I have to agree my Yingling copper is one of my favorite pots right next to my mistress. Sounds amazing.

NoogaVFL

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Andy Kaiser helped me troubleshoot a little bit via private messages. I think we figured out the problem was that the striker itself also seems to be pretty unforgiving in terms of that "sweet spot" on the edge. There's very little room for error- compounded with the somewhat difficult nature of a copper surface.

I've played around a bit more now and have made it sound a whole lot better than what it did before.

Any other conditioning/general tips for a copper pot are appreciated though!

BABS9

TarheelTurk

Contact Mike he is on here . And like the gentleman said earlier for striker pressure ...but contact Mike he will answer your questions
Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL