Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Could Changing a Recoil Pad Change Your POI?

Started by tman74, April 01, 2015, 04:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tman74

Hi Guys,

Forgive me if it sounds kinda silly but could the shape of an aftermarket recoil pad be the potential culprit of horizontal change of poi (left)? I went from a factory pad that's kinda wedge shaped to a limbsaver that's flat and wide in comparison.

Thanks for any input on this issue...it's got me scratching my head.

Kevin6Q

Any change to how the gun mounts to the body will  most definitely change POI. You need to move the sights or remove the pad.

Shoot a few rounds (I'd use inexpensive loads for this) with the pad and remove it and shoot another few and see what happens.

Dr Juice

It may but you need to get on the range to check it for sure.

tman74

A bit of an update, I took a quick trip to my friends farm and fired a 13 or so rounds and it's only my turkey load that's throwing left. The birdshot I used was #6 Fed Upland load 2.75", Challenger #7.5 2.75" and the turkey load was Win LB XR #6 3". I did a quick search and it looks like a small few other fellas had similar results. The patterns are fantastic but a little off the mark with this particular gun. I have other turkey loads I'll give a whirl and see what the story is with them.

:thanks:

old3toe

My 835 shot 4" left with longbeard 3.5" 4shot. I use a red dot on it and the other loads were good. Same longbeard loads in my Benelli nova with bead also shot left 3". Not sure what's up with that.

deerbasshunter3

I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but I don't see how changing anything but the sight, barrel, action, choke, or ammo would alter the POI. There is no doubt that altering an external factor, such as the recoil pad, could change how you hold and look down the barrel, but I find it hard to believe that it would have an effect on POI. The only way that I could see it changing your POI is because it causes you to look through the sights differently, and that is not the pad's fault if that is the case...

chatterbox

I changed out my son's youth stock to an adult stock, and took it to the range and had no difference in POI.
I imagine every gun might be different. Only some time at the range will truly give the answer.

Gooserbat

If your only using a front bead I could see it maybe due to the lack of a rear alignment, but with sights, scope or red dot I wouldn't expect it to.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Birdyblaster

Every brand and shot size of shell will usually have a different POI.  Just pick what you want to hunt with, sight in with those, and you're good.

tman74

Thanks for the help fellas. It's definitely the ammo I was using. I've switched to a Federal Mag Shok  load in 3.5" #6 and turkeys don't stand a chance at 40 yds. Kent Diamondshot 3.5" #6 patterned well too but they hit back! Lol

:thanks: