OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Still can't decide!

Started by deerbasshunter3, April 01, 2015, 01:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

Still not sure if I want to use the backpack that I have, get a turkey vest, or get a fanny pack.

Can somebody please give me some reasons why one would be better than the other?

chatterbox

Quote from: deerbasshunter3 on April 01, 2015, 01:43:07 PM
Still not sure if I want to use the backpack that I have, get a turkey vest, or get a fanny pack.

Can somebody please give me some reasons why one would be better than the other?
I have a vest, and personally would never go to the turkey woods without it!
It is easier to keep your stuff organized, they come with a seat cushion, and so many, many pockets!
Plus, easier to haul a gobbler out in a game pouch. they get heavy toting them over the shoulder.

tomstopper

Quote from: chatterbox on April 01, 2015, 01:45:46 PM

It is easier to keep your stuff organized, they come with a seat cushion, and so many, many pockets!
Plus, easier to haul a gobbler out in a game pouch. they get heavy toting them over the shoulder.
:agreed:

dejake

I use a backpack.  When I go out in the mornings, it's usually in the 40s, so I have to wear a coat.  Can't see being comfortable with a vest on top of that.  If I'm hunting late May, I sometimes wish I had a vest.

stinkpickle

Plus, easier to haul a gobbler out in a game pouch...

This a definitely an advantage of using a vest.

bmmorris

I'd feel naked without my vest and would feel like I was moving around too much having to fumble for things in a backpack. Have hunted with buddies that use fanny packs and they like them. You can always try using the backpack and then get the vest/fanny pack later on if it feels like its not working.

mgm1955

I agree with all the reasons given to use a vest.

Chilly

I love my vest and like the others, I'd never go without it.  I do occasionally have to leave it behind at a tree if I need to make a sudden move on a bird.  Then I just have my mouth call and my gun. 
Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!

deerbasshunter3

-If it makes a difference, I will most likely be running and gunning with a partner my first weekend hunting. No telling what I will be doing my second weekend hunting (Only hunting two weekends this season.).

I can get a Turkey Thugs fanny pack from WM for only $20.

Muzzy61

Tried a lot of things, always go back to a vest.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Swampchickin234

this.  Organize it the way you want and then never take anything out.  Grab the vest and grab the gun and go hunt.  That way you know where everything is and never have to try to remember where you put something.   Good luck choosing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WildTigerTrout

I wear a vest and have for years. The advantage to the vest is I know where everything is located and it's available instantly. I also unhook the clasp in the back of my vest and strap my bird across the game bag and rehook the clasp. Then I have both hands free and the weight is distributed evenly. It makes it alot easier on those long hikes back to the Jeep.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

TauntoHawk

I'll do all three, vest (tac tater II) backpack (band lands ultra day with a double pot call pouch and box holster on the belt) or fanny pack. The backpack is my all day option because I can get my morning layers in there with some food and lots of water maybe a gps and map along with the calls and stuff I need. Vest on most hunts where I might be bouncing from property to property and just want my calls on me. The fanny pack is just for a short quick hunt I just need a few things along to hunt and it's hot so I don't want anything extra on my back.

If I'm using decoys they are in the decoy bag but I have just stuffed one hen in her backpack before.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

zelmo1

I am a vest man too, I will use a fanny pack also if I am away from my vehicle for more that 5 or 6 hours. I am a big guy and need fuel and water

HFultzjr

I have and used all 3.

My vote goes for a vest, with lots of pockets/compartments.

Makes finding thing much easier and less noise.