Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

need help 410 shot size for my son rhis week end.

Started by rockyfackler, March 31, 2015, 09:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockyfackler

Need some help on shell and shot sizes.my son is 8 and this year Kentucky is letting you use
410.I know 20 yds is max,what would be a good shell and shot to use out 4,5 or 6 shot.thanks for
Time and help.

Remturkey

#6's to get maximum # of pellets and like you said definitely keep it under 20 yards. Most of all good luck to the young guy!

jakesdad

If you're keeping it under 20 yards I wouldnt be afraid to try 7 1/2s.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Marc

Quote from: jakesdad on March 31, 2015, 09:36:40 PM
If you're keeping it under 20 yards I wouldnt be afraid to try 7 1/2s.

That is the route I would go as well...  I sure would not go any bigger than #6's
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Saylfish

My son got a nice Osceola three weeks ago with Heavy shot #7 3 inch 410. They did the trick.
IAFF 1377

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Swampchickin234

Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 31, 2015, 10:22:30 PM
another vote for the 7-1/2 at 25yds or less
yep winchester makes a 3/4 ounce load you can get in 71/2 s. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snoodsniper

I kill a lot of stuff with .410 3" #5's. Never tried it on turkeys though. Hevi shot sounds like the way to go.

Honolua

I'd personally go #4 no way I'd go less than #5. But that's me. Took my boy out a couple weeks ago with #4

Super X3

Another vote for the heavy 13 #7. Seen my kids kill quite a few birds with this load. They use 20 ga I would assume they have em in .410.

zelmo1

Hevi shot #7 would be my choice and you are right, keep the shots close.

mwr

20 ga..........not that much more kick...............

jakesdad

Quote from: Honolua on April 01, 2015, 04:15:43 AM
I'd personally go #4 no way I'd go less than #5. But that's me. Took my boy out a couple weeks ago with #4

Not many #4s in a .410 shell.think it would be very difficult to get good pattern coverage at any range

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

pdaugherty

I'd definately go with the HEVI-Shot. #7s will hit like 5 lead so you'll have plenty of knock down and more pellets.