OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How many crossbow hunters do we have?

Started by MACHINIST, March 31, 2015, 08:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MACHINIST

Thinking about picking one up for deer and turkeys and want to see what people here like to use a crossbow to get some turkeys?

mgm1955

Bought one this fall to doe hunt. Haven't shot it except at the range. Not planning on turkey hunting with it.

kevin2

I'll be in my portable blind with my Mathews compound opening morning again, so the hope is to get some Gobblers to come into my decoys & tag out. But, if they don't, then I'm going to go run and gun/crossbow after some gobblers. I'll be using my 2015 BOWTECH Stryker Solution LS 390 Crossbow to start with. IF I fail with that, then it will be off to the shotgun! HOPING to cash in with the Compound 1st, but a close 2nd would be my xbow.

That new Bowtech Solution LS is fast, smooth, and very accurate. I was shooting bolts out to 100 yards last fall. WHEN there was little wind, I was into a small paper plate size group, maybe a touch smaller.
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

Cut N Run

I have a Parker Hurricane I got in 2009.  My left shoulder was permanently injured from being T-boned by a drunk driver who ran a red light @ 70 MPH.  It almost killed me and left me unable to draw any of my compounds, recurve, or long bow, so crossbow hunting is it during archery season for me.

I've killed several deer with the crossbow, but no turkeys yet.  It is legal to bowhunt turkeys on private land on Sundays here in N.C., but so far I've only had jakes and hens come in range.  During the rest of the days of the week I try to feed 'em Hevi shot instead of arrows.  I'll be trying to kill a grown gobbler with the Parker any Sunday I get the chance.

Attached is a picture of my best crossbow buck so far.  I'm happy to get the chance to bowhunt again.

Jim

Luck counts, good or bad.

greentag

i have a excaliber that i love,i use a shotgun mostly in the spring and run and gun,but in the fall season when you can pattern the birds pretty good i put up a blind and use the crossbow,its alot of fun and ive been fortunate to take alot of birds with it.

JLH

I bought the Excalibur micro335 last nov.....i use it for deer controll and my daughter will be using it in 2 weeks for youth day.
although I'm strictly a vertical bow hunter (I don't gun hunt at al) this little Micro is one deadly machine....i may bring it on one of my out of state hunts this season.

Mike Honcho

I 've got a Barnett and will probably hunt with it a little  from a ground blind since archery opens a couple of weeks earlier than shotgun in my state. Then I'll go shotgun.

vpsalin

I too bought a Micro335 but have yet to use it on a deer or turkey. My plan is to use a Killzone BH for deer and CX SS Torrid for the Turkey.
1966 870_WM / 20'' Deer RS / IC .665 / SHURSHOT / 1.75-5x32 Legend HD / LB_XR_3''_#5

Excalibur Micro335 RT / Nikon Bolt XR / Luminok Quills / CX Torrid SS 85GR w.Adders

Excalibur Grizzly305 MO / Deadzone / Luminok Quills / CX Torrid SS 85GR w.Adders

Dr Juice

I bought an Excalibur Vortex last fall to hunt deer in NY. It just became legal in NY to do so. I will try turkey hunting with it someday when I can dedicate more preparation time in target shooting. By the way, I am very happy with the excalibur. Good luck. 

kevin2

I haven't shot it, but it looks nice on youtube. It is hard to pass up. A bit faster & I'm betting I get one.

Quote from: JLH on April 01, 2015, 06:31:30 AM
I bought the Excalibur micro335 last nov.....i use it for deer controll and my daughter will be using it in 2 weeks for youth day.
although I'm strictly a vertical bow hunter (I don't gun hunt at al) this little Micro is one deadly machine....i may bring it on one of my out of state hunts this season.
I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

Roost 1

Got my Tenpoint sighted in yesterday with Shwacker heads.......

snapper1982

I have killed many deer with a crossbow(never a turkey) I currently have a tenpoint shadow and it is a sweet little machine. Very accurate and very quiet for a crossbow. I have been considering a few days out with it this spring.

beagler

Shooting an Excalibur Matrix 380 this season but I've taken gobblers with my Excalibur Equinox.
Never Misses

Phire Phite

It is not legal here in VT for any game unless you have some sort of "disabled" permit. :-[

BABS9

I actually just won a pse crossbow today! Thinking ill give it a try in the turkey woods this may.