News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Would you do this?

Started by HFultzjr, March 31, 2015, 07:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HFultzjr

Situation:

I have a fairly large tract of land across the road from me. It is posted and NO hunting is allowed. As a matter of fact, the owner had some issues a while back with some slobs, and now.....no hunting.....no scouting......no hiking.......no trespassing.....no nothing.......nobody, no exceptions. Virtually untouched mountain land, except for the 4 wheelers that still seem to sneak in.

I like to practice my calling from my location to hear the responses I get from various calls and methods. Since no one is hunting these birds and can't hunt them, I don't think I'm "educating" anybody's birds that may be hunted. Even the surrounding land is mostly houses on a few acre lots, so there is virtually no opportunity within at least 2-3 miles.

Do you think it is unethical to continue doing this, as I really like to call and practice on real birds.

Your comments are appreciated and will be taken into consideration.

Please be kind....that's why I'm asking.

Thanks.

neal

Call away! What's the difference really in the end.

Neal
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

HFultzjr

Thanks for the replies. I didn't think I was doing anything wrong, but I know pre-season calling and educating birds is a big no, no.

Cut N Run

I practice calling on live birds in the state parks near me.  No hunting is allowed there either and nobody cares anyway.  So, go for it.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Swampchickin234

If ya can't hunt them and no one else can, ya might as well have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snoodsniper

Rio Fan

I'd do the same thing if I was positive nobody could hunt around there. 

Ishi

Call away! That's a good way to learn
The Spirit Lives On

Chilly

I think you should get to know the person really well and eventually get permission to hunt it once they figure out what kind of a person you are.  I wouldn't just run in and ask immediately,  good luck!
BTW, living that close, you could help keep people \ trespassers off.
Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!

JLH

You're a bird watcher....and nobody has any problems with someone doing some interactive birdwatching.

I've done it, and called in some nice birds wearing jeans and a t shirt...hehe

870supermagnum

I see no problem calling "just to see if you get an answer."   

tomstopper

I agree with all the above. My family and I sometimes go for hikes at our state parks in the spring and sometimes I call to see if I can't get some gobbling going on and nobody has cared ever.

GobbleNut

My first question would be is whether or not you can hunt on your side of the fence?  If you can hunt on your side, I would not be calling to those birds until the season is in,...and then I would pull them across the property line.  If you can't hunt your side, then call all you want to.