OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

new here!

Started by Lon0121, March 24, 2011, 06:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lon0121

hey guys new to the forum!  i sighted in my turkey gun today using an old mossberg 500 and a carlsons dead coyote choke.  i got one of the hunters specialties targets with the turkey head on it.

roughly how many pellets should be on the paper at 40 yards using 1 7/8 oz number 5 shot 3 inch remington nitro load?.

thanks guys!
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

Wolfdog

As many as you can get.....just kidding   :welcomeOG:
The more people I meet the better I like Turkeys

bowhunter84

you need to start with a large piece of paper say 3' X 3' and find out where your most of your shot is going. get you sights centered in the best part of the pattern. and then like wolfdog said "as many as you can get"    :anim_25: and  :welcomeOG:

Lon0121

thanks guys im 90 pellets in a 8 by 11 inch piece of paper! at 40 yards
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

hookedspur

Quote from: bowhunter84 on March 24, 2011, 07:05:25 PM
you need to start with a large piece of paper say 3' X 3' and find out where your most of your shot is going. get you sights centered in the best part of the pattern. and then like wolfdog said "as many as you can get"    :anim_25: and  :welcomeOG:
:agreed:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

jonhaga

That sounds like it will kill a dirty bird. Welcome to Old Gobbler also.

SumToy

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Lon0121

:thanks:

you guys are way too kind!

thanks and god bless!
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

Mag10

We try to get at least 100 holes in a 10" ring (78.5 sq. inches)or 1.27 holes per sq. inch.
8 by 11" paper = 88 sq. inches with 90 holes is a little light but will do the job if it is a even pat.  good luck and  :welcomeOG:, Marty

Lon0121

ok i 2 test pictures from earlier,  i used the hunters specialties turkey head targets!  one was at 20 yards and the other at 40 yards.  Im using my mossberg 500 with a carlsons dead coyote choke...remington nitro  turkey loads 3 inch number 5's.  i aimed a lil too low on the 20 yard shot so my pattern was a bit below and on the neck,  i counted 114 total on paper and 21 pellets in the turkey its self,  but the butcher paper i had it on had more pellets below the target you cant see.  the 40 yard one was 75 hits and 13 or 14 in the turkey!.  i know i can always experiment with different loads and such and most people get better results but is this effective for harvesting turkey out to 40 yards!
first pic at 20
http://img220.imageshack.us/i/001fkc.jpg/
second pic at 40
http://img684.imageshack.us/i/004dmg.jpg/
its hard to see most pellets
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

honker22

I have no experience with that choke and don't know the specs on it.  I'd suggest you go down to 6s with the Winchester extended range or try some hevi-shot 6s or 7s.  This should make your pattern much better.  Do a search, the mossbergs seem to pattern very good with the correct combo.

Good luck and keep us posted
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

shootumindaface

:welcomeOG:  YOu have done the right thing and shot your gun to see what you have.. Will your pattern kill a turkey, Obviously you have shot in the vital areas.. Is it something to trust 100 percent of the time, its borderline..

Your Carlsons Choke has an exit diameter of 675 which is on the very open spectrum of turkey chokes... Lead shot is highly qualified to produce 100 percent killing patterns at 40 yards, but I would suggest a touch tighter choke if you are going to stay with the Nitros or move to another lead turkey load..

An in expensive choke with an exit diameter of 670-665 should serve to tighten your pattern a touch with your chosen load or if you decide you may want to try some 6s of the Winchester variety..

I have had killing patterns with a factory supplied Mossy Turkey Ported choke with an exit of 670 with a variety of Winchester 6 loads..

Lon0121

thanks guys!

if i cant switch chokes will the number 6 shot pattern better or should i say have more pellets to add for a low tighted choke error!. 

i believe shayne at carlsons said its a .660 but he also stated its not meant for a tight looped turkey shot.
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

shootumindaface

Everything I have seen says its 675 and with T Shot Ded Coyote recommended I believe 660 would be way to tight..

Even at 675 I believe the Win Supreme 2oz 6s would give you better patterns as would the 1 7/6 grey box 6s

Lon0121

i tried the winchester high velocity ammo,  3 in no 6's!  patterned worse than the no 5's!   i had 22 hits at 40 yards in an 11 in circle!   

i called carlsons and they said i may have to send it to them for them to look at!   i asked them again what the mossberg dead coyote choke size is and they said .660!   all in all my patterns spread ver badly before 30 yards!   i may need an even tighter choke then eh?
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff