OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Dusting and laying eggs?

Started by RiverRoost, March 30, 2015, 10:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

I was walking out of the woods the other day w a guy and as we passed a dust bowl he said he's always heard that when they start dusting its a sign the hens are getting close to laying eggs. Any truth?

Thundermtn

I doubt it. I'm guessing with warmer weather, comes a lot more insects that need choked out by a good dust bath.

RiverRoost

That's what I have always been told and what I fiured dusting was used for. I thought that theory sounded a little too far out there but wanted to hear so from the crowd

bammerslammer 50

I've never seen a dust bowl that I know of. Anybody got any pictures of what one looks like?

RiverRoost

This is a picture I took of one over the weekend.

Dr Juice

Quote from: Thundermtn on March 30, 2015, 10:42:57 PM
I doubt it. I'm guessing with warmer weather, comes a lot more insects that need choked out by a good dust bath.

I concur.

TauntoHawk

They are two separate observations that just happen to be made around the same time. It gets warmer in spring and hen lay eggs. It gets warmer in spring and turkeys begin to dust. Turkeys dust all summer well after laying their eggs
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

tomstopper

Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 31, 2015, 08:46:51 AM
They are two separate observations that just happen to be made around the same time. It gets warmer in spring and hen lay eggs. It gets warmer in spring and turkeys begin to dust. Turkeys dust all summer well after laying their eggs
:z-winnersmiley:

Tail Feathers

My thoughts exactly.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Thundermtn

I don't have any proof but I'd but that they probably will dust at a higher rate while on the nest giving people more opportunity to see them doing it. Maybe where the rumor comes from. If they're spending a lot of time in one spot tending a nest, that nest is going to be a magnet for mites and ticks. I know from my job that ticks will sniff out a spot for an easy meal and a nest will have a ton of scent and an easy meal sitting in it a lot of hours during the day.

bammerslammer 50

hoyt

I got this video on a trail cam of a gobbler dusting a few yrs back . That yr was really dry and they had about 4 or 5 big dust bowls on this cedar knoll. It has been so wet ever since the ground hasn't been dry enough for a dust bowl.

This was taken before season opener as far as dusting and laying eggs goes.

http://youtu.be/Cwm5qgSyq54

Tom Threetoes

I think Hoyt hit the nail on the head! With warmer weather comes drier and dustier conditions. Turkeys dust whenever they find the right conditions. We prepare a spot where turkeys have dusted for years by improving drainage, adding sand, and keeping it raked so it dries faster. It's paid off 2 out of the last 3 years.

mgm1955

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Like the video too!

darn2ten

Turkey's will dust at any time of the year when conditions are dry. I had a flock on my land in late summer/early fall this year that started 2 dust bowls in the end of one of my food plots right after I plowed and planted it. They wore it out for about a month and then quit using them when the plot started getting up.