turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What size choke for a 870SM running 3.5" #6 Fed. HW

Started by Thundermtn, March 30, 2015, 12:42:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thundermtn

What is a good starting point choice for choke on the above gun?

Right now I'm running an undertaker and it's averaging about 15 pellets in the head and neck @40. Sometimes it's a little patchy though. Getting ready to polish the bore and refresh my setup. 26" barrel if it matters, thanks!

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Thundermtn on March 30, 2015, 12:42:55 AM
What is a good starting point choice for choke on the above gun?

Right now I'm running an undertaker and it's averaging about 15 pellets in the head and neck @40. Sometimes it's a little patchy though. Getting ready to polish the bore and refresh my setup. 26" barrel if it matters, thanks!
I have had very good patterns with those shells using the Wright's #2 with a .660 exit diameter choke. The #6 Heavyweight shot shells can be a challenge at times and that choke works better than others I've tried with it. It's non-ported with a crowned muzzle and rated for all lead and tungsten based shot.

The 26" barrel is just about perfect for maximizing patterns in my experience. I'd also recommend that you "deep clean" the bore as well. Many times those wads like a clean bore to work well.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Thundermtn

Thanks, noticed that with my as of now un-polished barrel. First shot with a really clean barrel gave me 19 in the H&N @40 third shot dropped to 12. With a really clean barrel this load has decent pattern, only one or two small holes bigger than say 2", and more power than anything else I've shot. The only thing that was close where the original Remington heavyshot 1&3/4 loads. Once the bore is fouled it just goes to an adequate pattern and that's it.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Thundermtn on March 30, 2015, 09:32:57 AM
Thanks, noticed that with my as of now un-polished barrel. First shot with a really clean barrel gave me 19 in the H&N @40 third shot dropped to 12. With a really clean barrel this load has decent pattern, only one or two small holes bigger than say 2", and more power than anything else I've shot. The only thing that was close where the original Remington heavyshot 1&3/4 loads. Once the bore is fouled it just goes to an adequate pattern and that's it.

Once you "deep clean" the bore, routine cleaning is much easier. If you're not familiar that procedure, you can read about it here http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=282 It really works and gets rid of "gunk" that may still be there. That may allow you to shoot several times with that shell and get better results.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."