OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

days you should have stayed home

Started by 2eagles, March 29, 2015, 06:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2eagles

There's been a couple of days I've turkey hunted that I should have just stayed in bed. Last year season one (only 4 days long in Iowa) there was 4-5 inches of new slushy snow on the ground. I left early, but was almost hit head-on by a driver who lost control of his car.  Thankfully he went safely into the ditch. After helping as much as I could, I continued to my spot and spent a miserable day hunting. No signs of turkeys that day, but I filled my tag the next day. Another opener hurricane force winds were blowing that morning. When a large limb crashed down feet from my blind, I decided to run home with my tail between my legs.
Next time the weather is that bad ----- I'm going hunting!

jakesdad

Usually the only thing that runs me back to the truck is lots of lightning.I'm not afraid to admit that stuff scares me to death.Rain,wind,sleet,snow,hail,its all good;but lightning no can do!

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

mgm1955

Quote from: jakesdad on March 29, 2015, 09:25:36 PM
Usually the only thing that runs me back to the truck is lots of lightning.I'm not afraid to admit that stuff scares me to death.Rain,wind,sleet,snow,hail,its all good;but lightning no can do!
:agreed:

Coachwate

Quote from: jakesdad on March 29, 2015, 09:25:36 PM

Amen to that. Don't play with no lightening! My first year hunting but any day in the woods has to beat a day in the office, no matter the conditions.

Gooserbat

Lightning is not good.  I've rode out about all kinds of weather turkey hunting here in OK ant the things that get me spooky are tornadoes, lightning and Big hail
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

tomstopper

Another vote for lightning. Just don't like the thought of holding a metal rod in my hands or over my shoulder during that scenario.

Thundermtn

If I can hunt that day I will. If it's raining I head to a field or wait it out in a good spot. A few years ago a buddy and I snuck up on a bird that had only answered us once before the rain started heavy.  We popped up out of a little ravine and there he was with a wing over his head. He peaked out surprised to see us as much as we were to see him, just in time for 2oz. of #4's to hit him at 7 yards, the wad actually bounced of his head. I've had too much good luck on days that my initial gut feeling told me to go home.

Spurs

I don't do lightning myself, but it is usually short lived....then back to the woods I go!!!!!
This year is going to suck!!!

Marc

Lightening makes me nervous as well...

Spent some time scuba diving during some lightening storms...  Pretty spectacular to see lightening strikes in the ocean...  Pretty unnerving to be bobbing around out there waiting for the boat to pick you up, or worse, making a long scramble along the beach carrying a scuba tank and pole-spear...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Muzzy61

Only thing that runs me back to the truck is lighting or if some how I forgot my thermo cell.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

zelmo1

Ditto here, no lightening for me. I will hunt almost any other weather, the birds are there. Just our job to find them and work them.

WV TURKEY THUG

that day when lightning was hitting a little closer than id liked it to. it is one heck of a locator call.

Bowguy

Holy shoot guys, lightning is normally occampanied by thunder. That makes birds go freakin nuts. I'd sneak out of a hospital to hunt the second Thunder and lightning stopped if I wasn't already in it. Stay safe but Thunder to me is the best locator and it makes em nuts.

jblackburn

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 29, 2015, 10:52:29 PM
Lightning is not good.  I've rode out about all kinds of weather turkey hunting here in OK ant the things that get me spooky are tornadoes, lightning and Big hail

I'll add 75+ mph straight line winds, that was as scary as a tornado.  Then there were the old people making out in the Perkins walk-in cooler . . . . Why do so many strange things happen when we hunt together!?!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

mudhen

Carry a one iron....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka