OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

My Brothers first Turkey! (Long Read Pic Heavy)

Started by Tennessee Lead, March 29, 2015, 02:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

boomer

bbcustomboxcalls

MACHINIST

Tennessee Lead

Thank you guys!

Sent from my iPhone that I ain't smart enough to use with tapatalker

chatterbox

Well done by all, and I hope it is the first of many, many gobblers for Denver!
There is nothing like seeing the smile on a young hunters face! Simply awesome! :icon_thumright:

g8rvet

Saweet.  Nice bird and a heck of a start to a turkey hunting career! 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Crawl79

Thanks for sharing story and video! Congrats

kyturkeyhunter4

Quote from: Tennessee Lead on March 29, 2015, 02:02:54 PM
Opening morning of the Juvi hunt we made it to the makeshift blind on the edge of a field. I took the decoys that I had asked many of you about using. As the light began to appear and birds began to gobble I turned as a Tom jarred the ground and 35 yards away he set on a limb. I was very disappointed I knew the deal was over with. He stayed on the limb till 7:30. He flew down across the holler. Denver was froze by now so we left out for home.
Fast forward to today we were about 30 minutes earlier than yesterday got the decoys out at 23 yards set Daddy and Denver in the blind. I sat outside it in my Gobbler chair I bought last night. Cut a cedar bush and put it up behind me for a back stop.
At 5:54 a bird gobbled. At 6:05 another gobbled across the holler from us. It is a deep holler with a big creek in the bottom. I didn't feel confident that he would cross it to come to us even though they do daily, yall know how it usually works. Dad began tree calling more than I wanted him to do but it was working. He answered a lot. He got louder and louder with his calling. At 6:30 the ground jarred with a gobble. I knew he was on our side now. I turned on the camera and also grabbed my phones camera. One more gobble and he appeared into the field. Immediately went into a full strut. He was locked in on the "Funky Chicken " Jake decoy.
He began a slow march what seemed an eternity toward it. Half way there he went into the mean humped up walk. We never let him get to them as Daddy was instructing him to shoot. I said "Tom" to him hoping he would raise his head. He fired and rolled him. Actually took his bottom beak off. Me and Daddy were overcome with emotion. Denver was so excited. It was amazing to see because he's not crazy about hunting as we are but he really got into it today. He has already asked when can we take him again.
He killed it with my Mossberg 835 that I added the adjustable stock to this month. 2&3/4" Winchester Supreme 1&5/8 oz #6 shot.
20.5 pounds 10.5" Beard & 3/4 sharp Spurs.
Here is the video:
http://youtu.be/2S_eZK4pwog Awesome bird, good job

Sent from my iPhone that I ain't smart enough to use with tapatalker

beagler

Never Misses

ncturkey

Congrats to Denver and the whole group. Great video.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

kevin2

I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

gophert

Rock on!!!  :you_rock:   Thanks for sharing the video!!!