turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

second tom of the 2015 season

Started by loner, March 29, 2015, 11:55:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loner

after not hearing any gobbles on a cold sunday morning and a north wind,i decided to try another bird i had not had any luck getting him to come to the property i was hunting.i setup in one of my old favorite spots and hit my call and got a gobble behind me right away across the fence.i got out my slate a hit another note and he gobbled again but this time starting up the fence towards another spot i use in cedars along that same fence 300 yards away in front of his travel.with no leaves on trees,keeping safe distance keeps me out of sight.i set up huffing and puffing from a fast walk and chose to use 4 different calls.he had three hens with him and kept closing the distance while i listened to the hens talking in front of him.i knew he would pop up about 20 yards away in the edge of the pasture before i could see him.he appeared looking for all those hens he THOUGHT he heard and the sight was on his head and it was crushed.he was a good three year old with 9.5" beard.about 20 # and 1" spurs. i haven't ever felt better about taking a tom than this one.  :happy0064:
just an ole' retired man that still believes in values,and common courtesy.

Bowguy

Rubbing it in. Still have snow on the ground n another 3 weeks to go.

loner

LOL we are having a late spring and the birds have been slow to get started due to everything still looking and feeling like winter.i have a hard time dressing like i am deer hunting in the spring,but you do what you must do.your dates are later due to weather i am sure but they will be looking for love just like ours when the season opens.good luck!
just an ole' retired man that still believes in values,and common courtesy.

njdevilsb

snapper1982

alloutdoors

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

boomer

captin_hook

mgm1955

strutnva

870supermagnum

Congrats, and thanks for sharing your hunt.

zelmo1

:z-winnersmiley: Congrats, you are 2 up on me. Only 5 weeks till opening day, lol

suburbhunter