OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Who has lost a bird?

Started by Honolua, March 29, 2015, 12:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who has shot, then not recovered a bird?

I have lost a bird.
25 (43.9%)
I have never lost a bird.
20 (35.1%)
I have lost more than one bird.
12 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Voting closed: April 08, 2015, 12:57:23 AM

Honolua

Lost my first bird today...he was a monster.

land cruiser

2eagles

I've had a few misses, but I believe they were just a bad shot and no harm done.
I have wounded deer with a bow and it just rips your guts out. If that turkey dies and it feeds a 'yote or other animal, remember it wasn't a complete waste. All Gods creatures must eat. Do your best next time and move on.

zelmo1

Never lost a turkey, but lost a deer 28 years ago. I have made my peace with it but cannot forget it. I put in the effort so I can live with it. Do your best and never quit. Move on. Al Baker  :z-twocents:

Fieldturkey

My dad wounded what would have been his first gobbler. One of the most picture perfect hunts I have ever had. Gobbler got to about 7 yds and dad didn't realize how tight the pattern would be that close. He shot and the bird acted hit and started running away. I think he was so in shock he could t get off another shot and I couldn't shoot around him. It still stings  a little

Dtrkyman

Have never lost a gun bird, but have a few with the bow!

boomer

Have lost a few with a bow. But none since I started shooting Magnus Bullheads. Its either a miss or a dead bird. Never lost one with a gun.

WildTigerTrout

I have lost one bird. Anybody that has not has not hunted enough. It happens to the best of us. We just have to try and not let it happen again.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

CT Spur Collector

I've had "clean" misses but never "rolled" one and never recovered.

If you've "never" missed, you haven't hunted very long.....you will.

Garrett Trentham

First and only bird I have shot with a bow. Right up the bunghole at 12 yds. He hobbled a ways, then flew off into the woods never to be seen again. Arrow was bloody nock to tip, breast feathers in the grass where I shot him. I walked the woods with my dog for hours and never saw the first sign of him. He may be the last turkey I ever shoot at with a bow. It was disgusting, far beyond frustrating.

I missed a gobbler at 20 yds in the woods a few years ago as well. He got weird and started to take off, I shot, he flew. Cleanly took out a sweet gum in the process. I never saw the tree before I pulled the trigger.
"Conservation needs more than lip service... more than professionals. It needs ordinary people with extraordinary desire. "
- Dr. Rex Hancock

www.deltawaterfowl.org

gobbler777

You can't change the fact now. Analyze and determine what you did wrong (if you did). Determine how you would keep it from happening in the future/what would you do different. Make a pact with yourself to not make any unwise decisions while turkey hunting. Now move on and have fun.
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

VaTuRkStOmPeR

If you've never lost one or seen one lost you ain't killed or guided very many of them. And that's a fact.

alclark2

When I first started hunting I rolled a jake and lost him. Now I tell that story to my friends to stress the importance of ethical range shots, effective patterns, and pellet energy. All we can do is learn from it and not make the same mistake again.
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

eggshell

I have watched a lot of film and most birds people claim they miss are actually hit birds. I agree with those who say they have never lost one have not hunted long enough or killed enough. In 42 years I really don't remember hoow many I've hit and lost, but it's not many. If I was guessing I'd say 4 or 5 and that is all birds I feel was hit in some form. As far as birds I put down hard and got up to be lost I know of three. Before anyone lectures me please consider my kills and quided kills are in the hundreds. I'm not bragging I just want to establish the parameters of my numbers.  I would say my lost birds are less than one in say 75-100. So if you have killed 25 and lost one that is a higher ratio. I am being totally honest and open. Don't beat yourself up over it just work to do better.

What really kind of gets under my skin is when I watch people shoot a bird among multiple birds and spray other birds with shot. I have watched in person and on videos many times hit birds run away limping that were not the bird shot. This never seems to get mentioned.  I wait until there is seperation or I don't shoot.  I know guys who have killed multiple birds several times when they were only meaning to kill one.  There are flukes, but usually this is just plain lack of discipline. So I've said my piece....good hunting

AndyH

I rolled one on opening morning several years back. Got up and walked over to him as he was flopping around, reached in my pocket to start filling my tag out and he got up and flew off. I looked and looked for that bird never to even find another feather other than what was on the ground where he was flopping. It happens if you hunt long enough.