turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

2" Circle!

Started by guesswho, March 28, 2015, 04:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

I now know that the Winchester Longbeards put up good numbers in a 2" circle at 11 1/2 yards.  I knew not to try a head shot at that distance from past experiences.  My new Sharpe lid and Skeeter work pretty good together too.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Tommy Strutsalot

Tail Feathers

Congrats Ronnie!
It's thrilling when they get in that tight. :icon_thumright:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Snoodsniper

Looks like that breast meat will be tender!

zelmo1

Congrats, good shootin Tex

njdevilsb

Nice bird.  Congrats.

WAGinVA

I really think I am going to regret posting this.  I do not think that I would body shoot a gobbler at 11 yards, seems like a big waste and shows little respect for the bird.  Just my personal unsolicited opinion, please carry on and do what you wish as long as it is legal and your conscience allows it.

g8rvet

Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Dtrkyman

I prefer to scalp em at that range, too much good meat down there, hope you didn't get into much!

guesswho

Quote from: WAGinVA on March 28, 2015, 05:52:28 PM
I really think I am going to regret posting this.  I do not think that I would body shoot a gobbler at 11 yards, seems like a big waste and shows little respect for the bird.  Just my personal unsolicited opinion, please carry on and do what you wish as long as it is legal and your conscience allows it.
The last time I tried to show one more respect by trying to blow his face off at close rage didn't work out to well.  Resulted in a wounded bird and a foot chase down a mountain side, eventually leading to the demise of the gobbler.   Trust me, this was much more respectful.  And there's a big difference between a full frontal body shot and an above the wing joint broadside shot.  Mostly what you get there is back and neck.  That's why the beard is intact. 

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 28, 2015, 06:27:47 PM
I prefer to scalp em at that range, too much good meat down there, hope you didn't get into much!
The breast was fine, the upper back and neck took the blunt of the shot.  Looked more like a pass through rifle shot at that distance.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

tomstopper

WAGinVA

Guesswho,
My apologies, my interpretation of the picture was that the bird was shot squarely in the side of the breast.  I knew I would regret posting and hope that I did not offend you.  in any case, nice bird.

suburbhunter

guesswho

Quote from: WAGinVA on March 28, 2015, 07:25:34 PM
Guesswho,
My apologies, my interpretation of the picture was that the bird was shot squarely in the side of the breast.  I knew I would regret posting and hope that I did not offend you.  in any case, nice bird.
No sweat, I admit it does look bad.  But I hate wasting a critter as much as anyone, probably more.  Here are some pictures I just took after your original post to ease your mind about waste.  I keep all the tail, primary and secondary wing feathers off every bird I kill.  I send them to a Native American friend of mine in Florida who is big into the Boy Scouts.  They use them in awards, crafts, ceremonies and such.  The wings, legs, back, liver, heart and gizzard are in the crock pot right now.  What I don't eat gets mixed in with my dogs dry dog food, they love it!  Once out of the crock pot I clean the wing bones up and save them for Mark Sharpe on here, he makes wingbone calls and made the one in my picture, by the way he makes a good one.  The heads are frozen and saved for a taxidermist friend of mine who uses them in mounts.  And naturally I save the beards and spurs as a memento.  Anything left is then put in the woods behind my house to feed who knows what.  Very little waste when I take a critters life

BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

mgm1955