turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How Old School Can You Go?

Started by RemingtonRules, March 28, 2015, 10:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RemingtonRules

Post your picture of this years kill or hunt with your best old school gear that you used on the hunt.  Can be older woodland camo or no camo, old gun, box call or wingbone, whatever.  Maybe you have an old gun you want to bring out of retirement.  I am by no means a traditionalist but like seeing some of the more seasoned gear. 

Swampchickin234

This is gonna be a very good threa I think.  Sounds fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RutnNStrutn

Problem is, I don't have much old school gear left.  ???

stinkpickle

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

10gaugemag

Had an old Win 3/2/4 left and shot it up tonight, came from the old grey Treebark camo box, woulda been a good one. May have to call one up w my 40+ year old Lynch this year.

Gooserbat

I got a WWII camo coat, and my great uncle handed down his 1953-1957 wingmaster with a 30" fixed full to Dad.  I really need to kill a bird with that stuff. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Cut N Run

About 15 years ago, I used to try to kill a gobbler with a stick bow my buddy made, handmade boo arrows & dogwood inserts, tipped with stone points I made, no blind, no decoys, no camo.  I came close to getting to full draw a few times, but I always got busted at the last minute before I ever got the shot off. It was PUTT- PUTT, gone.   I've never had the "So close, but so far away" feeling as much as then.  Hunting that way was very intense, but it got too frustrating.  I was just scaring & educating gobblers, so I went back to shooting turkeys with a shotgun. 

It just doesn't get any more old school than that.  If I had any success pictures using that gear, they'd be posted all over this site.

Jim

Luck counts, good or bad.

Herb McClure

Being that I am objurgated to care-giver this turkey season and may not have an opportunity to hunt. I will share some old school happens ahead of a kill and post, also don't know how to down photos on a forum. I Have hunted every season since 1956; taking first gobbler in 1958. Have use the same turkey callers since 1966, which have got the job done with other old school ways of hunting. I even have a book, which covers 57 season that I am talking about.     

woody328

Several years ago I killed a bird using a model 12 16 gauge pump. I knew it was an old shotgun, but didn't grasp just how old it was until I attempted to rack another shell into the gun to shoot the second bird and the shell would not eject. As it turns out, it was manufactured in the 20s and had a 2 9/16th chamber. They didn't go to a 2 3/4 chamber until 1927.  :o Got my attention about being careful with old guns. Thinking back on it, that was in 1998 so at the time, the shotgun was, at the youngest, 71 years old.

chatterbox

Not for this year, but next year I plan on taking out my late dad's 1925 Traveler 12 ga.
I need to take it to a competent gunsmith and have it gone through, then get some special shells just for old guns and see if I can kill a longbeard with it.
That would be a VERY special day......

Rick Howard

Here is my nephew with his first bird last spring.  He had out grown his camo so he borrowed uncle Rick's OD army surplus wool.     

jakesdad

Oldest nephew bet me I couldnt kill a bird "old school". So I am going to try to kill at least 1 bird this year in carharrt brown pants,green button up shirt,jersey gloves and plain colored hat.Have an old WWII style camo mask i'll wear as well.Going to be using a Remington 11-48 12 gauge with Win. grey box 2 3/4" #6. Will be packing a slate call I made and my old Lynch World Champion box.Oughta be fun.

No dekes,no blind,no mouth calls,no camo. ;D

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

chatterbox

Quote from: jakesdad on April 01, 2015, 02:41:59 PM
Oldest nephew bet me I couldnt kill a bird "old school". So I am going to try to kill at least 1 bird this year in carharrt brown pants,green button up shirt,jersey gloves and plain colored hat.Have an old WWII style camo mask i'll wear as well.Going to be using a Remington 11-48 12 gauge with Win. grey box 2 3/4" #6. Will be packing a slate call I made and my old Lynch World Champion box.Oughta be fun.

No dekes,no blind,no mouth calls,no camo. ;D
Can't wait for the pics!
You should post it in black and white. That would really give it the old school flavor! :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

WildTigerTrout

All my old school camo is gone. I wore it out and threw it away. I do have an early 1970's Lynch World Champion box call and have some older 2 3/4" Win. Super XX magnums in #4 and 6 shot. I could use my 1959 vintage Winchester Model 12 in 12 ga. It's a field model with a plain 28" barrel and modified choke.The more I think about this the more I think I might try it.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!