OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Need advice on a decoy!

Started by Juan Gonzales, March 27, 2015, 08:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juan Gonzales

Hey guys, I'm wanting to buy me some new decoys. I've used the strutter decoys in the past but want to try a 1/4 strut Jake this year. So I need advice on whether to get the DSD breeder pair, the dakota breeder pair or the avians! They all look good in the magazines but have never seen any in person. I'm not worried about the cost, I want a tough decoy to last the ages and that looks like it's breathing!! Thanks !!!

snapper1982

DSD or dakota stay away from avians

Juan Gonzales

Is there much difference between DSD and dakota. Looks and durability?

mgm1955

IMO DSDs are the best hands down.

snapper1982

Quote from: Juan Gonzales on March 27, 2015, 08:58:34 PM
Is there much difference between DSD and dakota. Looks and durability?

Looks= yes there is a big difference. DSD looks better for color and their hens look way better.
Durability= they are both supposed to be very durable.

Marc

Looking at the decoys pretty hard myself here are the pros and cons I have found:

• DSD's are far more durable.  Far more durable.
  • Avian X, are a bit lighter in weight (Avian Jake is 5 lbs and the DSD is about 6lbs) and collapsible.  However, they are also inflatable, so a stray pellet will cause some damage.
  • Avian X have better movement in a slight breeze.
  • As far as realism, I think that the DSD hens look better, but the Jakes are somewhat equal (I have a slight preference for the Avian X).
  • DSD's are made in the USA, Avian's in China.
  • DSD's are more expensive.
  • DSD has a better stake system in my opinion.  The stake is one-piece and is stored in the decoy.  The Avian is a collapsible stake, and I am guessing I will lose it, plus, it will rattle around as I am moving locations.
I went with a DSD leading hen for my hen decoy...  I purchased it last season, cause it was the only DSD available.  I actually like it, cause if I take it off the stake, it works as a breeder, and if the grass is tall, I can put it on a stake...  To me, the DSD hens are a bit too light in color, but still somehow look more realistic than the Avian hens...

I went with the Avian X jake, and it looks good as well...  I am a bit nervous about a stray pellet taking it out though.  It moves in a slight breeze better than my hen decoy, and Avian did a very good job getting those iridescent colors.

If money were not an issue, and I was not traveling on a plane, or moving a lot with them while hunting, I would go with DSD...  If you are traveling on a plane with them a lot, I would go with the Avian, simply cause they do collapse.  Owning both of the, there is no doubt but that overall,the DSD's are a better made product.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Juan Gonzales

jepcho

I love my Avian X dekes!  But I dont think you can go wrong with a DSD.  I actually prefer the looks Avian of the Jake and Hens better but the DSD strutter is second to none.

RutnNStrutn

I've hunted over DSD's and Avians. When it came time to get a couple of new ones this season, I went with the DSD's.

beagler

Never Misses

jlewis4390

I handled the avian pair at cabelas and I can't wait to buy mine

JLH

DSD jake and Deception Outdoors boss hen is about the prettiest pair of decoys I've seen....

I just can't wait to stick these in a field and watch the birds knock the paint off of them!

HunterMc23

The Primos Gobbstopper decoys seem good for the price, but if you have the money I would go with the Avian X Decoys.

kyturkeyhunter4

Quote from: Juan Gonzales on March 27, 2015, 08:45:50 PM
Hey guys, I'm wanting to buy me some new decoys. I've used the strutter decoys in the past but want to try a 1/4 strut Jake this year. So I need advice on whether to get the DSD breeder pair, the dakota breeder pair or the avians! They all look good in the magazines but have never seen any in person. I'm not worried about the cost, I want a tough decoy to last the ages and that looks like it's breathing!! Thanks !!!
For the price I think Primos new Gobbstopper would be hard to beat.

Dan Mallia