OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Need advice on a decoy!

Started by Juan Gonzales, March 27, 2015, 08:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michiganoutdoorsman

Bought the Avian X upright hen last Sunday. Started reading more reviews about the seams splitting and not staying inflated so I returned it and got the DSD upright hen. Great looking decoy! My dad almost fell to the ground when I told him the price though  ::)

Strick9

Hands down the DSD for all the reasons mentioned above but being a patriot if you are then buy the DSD as its Made in the USA!!!!! We need all the help we can get.
LowCountryWildlifeManagement
Knowing Wildlife beyond Science
Genesis 9;2

30_06

I prefer DSD. Quality materials, built to last, made in USA, and very realistic.

sixbird

I have DSD hen. It's as realistic as they come...I may be the odd ball in the group but I'd be scared to death to put out a gobbler decoy that was as realistic as the DSD's. I'm afraid some over anxious hunter is going to get me in a spot where I find myself in line of fire with the object of his desires!
What I've done, and it's worked out phenomenally well, is use one of those stupid looking Funky Chickens. I don't think anybody is going to mistake that for the real thing...Gobblers seem to be really aggressive toward it so it does what it's meant to do. I can just stick in in the same carry bag as my DSD hen...Hey. it looks stupid but it works...Oh, and it's about 1/4 the price of a DSD ( Of course that wouldn't matter if it didn't work).

wvlimbhanger

My vote is for DSDs as well for many of the reasons already listed.

I will say that before I made the switch I used primos decoys and to compare the reactions from birds is night and day.  I've videoed jakes breeding my hens for minute's at a time, hens pecking and flogging the hen decoys to the point it gets annoying, and gobblers flogging the jake decoy.  Never got those types of responses from a primos.

stinkpickle

Any of those will work just fine.  And if you have gobblers flogging your decoys, you're waiting too long to shoot.  ;)