OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What's a light weight very portable run and gun blind?

Started by 870supermagnum, March 27, 2015, 08:46:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

870supermagnum

I have an 8 year old grandson that wants to hunt with me in the worst way, but has a REAL problem setting still.  We're gonna have to use a blind if we ever hope to get a bird in close.  I'm looking for something that's light weight and very portable that we can run and gun with.  What do you recommend?

RemingtonRules

Sometimes the perfect setup or hunt is not possible with someone that young.  Focus on what can be fun for him rather than trying for success.  They just want to be entertained.  Have fun with him, let him make awful sounds on a call.  They just want to try.

870supermagnum

RemingtonRules, thanks for reminding me to not be so serious and just have fun with him.  He's a great little guy and wants to learn.  His older cousin (age 11) shot his first gobbler last Saturday and the compitition is ON.  He wants to even the score, but has a discipline problem setting still.  That's why I want to better his odds by using a blind.  Thanks again for the reminder.    :icon_thumright:

870supermagnum

Illini Tom, that's the kind of blind I'm looking for, thanks.  I'm hoping some others will post their ideas so I can make a choice as to what might work best.  The one you gave the link to is looking good.

TauntoHawk

Check out the mad max blind they are like $30 and double as a shooting rest, extremely portable and help cover some movement. Not a full blind but certainly help for a kid thats constently having to readjust his seating position.

I've taken several youth hunter and its come in handy, I also used it for my wife and she likes that it gives her a gun rest to shoot off of although we did have to let a bird walk that came from the side and she couldn't swing up and over the blind to re position without spooking the bird.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

zelmo1

:smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an :gobble: I also have a squirmy 8 year old that wants to go turkey hunting with me this year, SHE IS GOING. I picked up a Brickhouse blind by Ameristep at Cabelas for $80. We set it up and there is plenty of room in it for us. I am charging her ipod and got her  her own calls so she can be involved. She is quite good with a push pin and really likes the M.A.D. egg. Whatever keeps her interested. Good luck, you will have a blast. Al Baker

SCGobbler

Have fun with it 870!  Easier said than done!  If has an ipad, let him bring it, his own calls, etc... full blind will be your best bet though.  maybe run and gun through the morning and then head to the blind in the late morning.
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

870supermagnum

You guys are great.  Thanks for the ideas and suggestions.  I'll check out everything that's been presented.  Thanks again.    :you_rock:

born2hunt

What I have found with my daughter is that she has trouble sitting for very long without action but let one get in sight or gobble or a deer or hog come out and she is all business. She really surprised me this year with how well she handled herself with turkeys insight. I normally throw up a roll out blind to help but its the boredom that gets them.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Bowguy

Bud roost em the night before. You can quietly set up blind that evening or the next morning. You'll be in the birds immediately and by the time that washes out the kids patience is prob gone n you can go home. Running and gunning is tough w little kids do just adjust your technique

Capt. Randy

Wayne,I think the mad max blind that TauntoHawk suggested is a good one to look at. I just got one this year and love it!! Just enough coverage and not too cumbersome for run and gun type turkey hunting. Good luck!!

Illini Tom

another key for a restless young hunter is to make sure he has a comfortable seat
a short-legged strut seat is 10 times better than a thin cushion

kevin2

I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

M Sharpe

Not trying to give a smart answer here, but my blind consist of a pair of pruning shears. I'll cut a few branches and stob up in the ground in front of my wife. Not total concealment but it breaks up the outline and allows for a little movement. May not be enough for a young'un though.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!