turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Painting decoys.

Started by deerbasshunter3, March 26, 2015, 04:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerbasshunter3

I have been told to paint my Pretty Boy Jr. decoy so it looks more realistic. I really don't want to start messing with painting anything, so I have a question about turkey head/neck colors.

My PBJ has a white neck. Is the color of its neck supposed to show less aggression or interest in a hen? Will leaving it white really make that big of a difference?

gophert

I painted my Pretty Boy Jr (Which is for sale by the way) and think it looks much better.  He has gotten molested many a time.

Mike Honcho

I have same decoy...I painted the head/neck of mine.  I just looked at the expensive jake decoys for the ideas.  It looks much better now.

I used acrylic paint from Walmart hobby dept...for about .99 to 2.00 a bottle.

Marc

Quote from: Mike Honcho on March 26, 2015, 05:18:52 PM
I have same decoy...I painted the head/neck of mine.  I just looked at the expensive jake decoys for the ideas.  It looks much better now.

That is exactly what I would do...

From experience, an agressive colored head such as the one on the pretty boy jr. will not work in your favor...

The good ol' boy who originally painted that decoy was sippin' some of the good stuff when he painted the head for the prototype...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

deerbasshunter3

Quote from: Marc on March 26, 2015, 05:31:41 PM

That is exactly what I would do...

From experience, an agressive colored head such as the one on the pretty boy jr. will not work in your favor...

The good ol' boy who originally painted that decoy was sippin' some of the good stuff when he painted the head for the prototype...

So do paint the head, or do not paint the head?

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

deerbasshunter3

The white head is considered aggressive?

DrummingStick

What a great Idea to repaint an old decoy to make it look new and real.

cajun1085

I flocked and airbrushed the back of mine

BABS9

More white is usually associated with the dominate bird in the area. An almost all red head means a more submissive or spooked bird.

SKFOOTER

Same here.  And my Pretty Boy Jr. has been knocked off of its stake more than once by longbeards. :OGturkeyhead:

SKFOOTER

Quote from: BABS9 on March 26, 2015, 10:18:11 PM
More white is usually associated with the dominate bird in the area. An almost all red head means a more submissive or spooked bird.
I believe you are mistaken.  It is exactly the opposite. :OGturkeyhead:

Mike Honcho

BABS9

I have to disagree. Usually from what I've seen a dominate or content bird has an almost all white/blue head with maybe some red down at the caruncles or lower neck. But a bird that is frightened or aggressive as well has an almost all red head/neck with a little white in between.

Marc

At this point I am as confused as anyone...  I thought that bright blues and whites were more aggressive colors, and red was "I am horney" (but I certainly could be mistaken on this). All I do know, is that the more blue and white in the neck, the more it seems to spook birds...  I would paint it...

You can use a big red Sharpy, or acrylic paint...  Or whatever...  My preference would be more subdued reds and pinks...

I want the decoy to look like the weak nerd at a jock party, about to scam in on the hottest cheerleader... 
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.