OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Worst hunting luck that was out of your control?

Started by Timmer, March 24, 2015, 05:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alloutdoors

Quote from: wisconsinteacher on March 24, 2015, 08:14:14 PM
A few years ago during our learn to hunt a guy was working two toms on the other side of the road.  The toms were coming and they could see them.  As the birds stepped up on the shoulder of the road, a truck came flying down the road and hit both birds about 75 yards from my buddy and the kid he was mentoring.

Oh man, that's rough for sure!

I've told this before, but I was taking my cousins kid on his first youth hunt and we had a bird coming when an eagle swooped in and tried to take the gobblers head off. The gobbler managed to duck the attack, and then got the heck out of there before the eagle could make another pass. In the end though he fired up again about thirty minutes later and we killed him with about a minute to spare.

Spitten and drummen

Worst for me. Going in a river swamp before daylight. I don't use a flashlight but it was a bright night with a full moon. Tom gobbling good. I came to a slew that had knee deep water in it. It was about 30 yards wide. The gobbler was about 150 yards on the other side of it. Knew I needed to be on the same side that he was on. Started wading the slew and got almost across when it felt like I got double tapped by a hornet. I jumped back and fished a light out of my cargo pocket and turned it on. A stump tail water moccasin was lying on a log and had his mouth opened and half curled ready to strike again. Killed the snake and went to the hospital with it. Scaredest I have ever been in my life. A dose of anti venom and a ton of antibiotics , I left the hospital 4 days later. That has to be the worst season and luck I have ever had turkey hunting.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

midmslongbeard

Had 3 gobblers hammering and coming straight to me then a bobcat tried to make them a meal and ran em off

Marc

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 24, 2015, 09:09:20 PM
Worst for me. Going in a river swamp before daylight. I don't use a flashlight but it was a bright night with a full moon. Tom gobbling good. I came to a slew that had knee deep water in it. It was about 30 yards wide. The gobbler was about 150 yards on the other side of it. Knew I needed to be on the same side that he was on. Started wading the slew and got almost across when it felt like I got double tapped by a hornet. I jumped back and fished a light out of my cargo pocket and turned it on. A stump tail water moccasin was lying on a log and had his mouth opened and half curled ready to strike again. Killed the snake and went to the hospital with it. Scaredest I have ever been in my life. A dose of anti venom and a ton of antibiotics , I left the hospital 4 days later. That has to be the worst season and luck I have ever had turkey hunting.

You win...

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

ceejay

Holy moly!!   No one can top that story.  Where did it strike you?

VaGobbler

Roosted a bird the night before.  The next morning I took a buddy before work, got in there extra earlyand got set up in the small block of pines that the gobbler had roosted in.  We are sitting there as dawn cracks, and make a few soft calls to see if we could get him started, then all of a sudden, my buddies alarm clock goes off on his cell phone.  And off he sailed in to the next county.

tomstopper

Quote from: alloutdoors on March 24, 2015, 09:04:05 PM
Quote from: wisconsinteacher on March 24, 2015, 08:14:14 PM
A few years ago during our learn to hunt a guy was working two toms on the other side of the road.  The toms were coming and they could see them.  As the birds stepped up on the shoulder of the road, a truck came flying down the road and hit both birds about 75 yards from my buddy and the kid he was mentoring.

Oh man, that's rough for sure!

I've told this before, but I was taking my cousins kid on his first youth hunt and we had a bird coming when an eagle swooped in and tried to take the gobblers head off. The gobbler managed to duck the attack, and then got the heck out of there before the eagle could make another pass. In the end though he fired up again about thirty minutes later and we killed him with about a minute to spare.
Kinda like this Alloutdoors... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp88qOHvc6w&index=4&list=WL

Nothing to spectacular for me. Just other hunters ambushing my calling and a couple times killing the bird I was calling in.

perrytrails

The last thing I think about is snakes. Wonder I haven't been bit. We don't have as many here in Ohio as you fellows south of us. Few, but not as many.

Last years first week was depressing for me. Had a new place to hunt, private land around it, cattle and some open fields.

Early season scouting showed at least two gobblers roosting on this farm and heard several on the property next to it. Needless to say I didn't scout other areas like I normally do which proved to be a huge mistake on my part.

Cold rainy conditions had our birds tight lipped for most of the season. Even on nice days.

I went the first 7 days of hunting with out even setting up on a gobbling bird. I was sick but kept at it.

I managed to tag out late in the season, but my buddy hunted all four weeks and never tagged a bird.

tomstopper

Dang that sucks. I am deathly allergic to bees, & have had painful allergic reactions to red ant bites so getting hit by a snake would probably do me in. Glad you made it out OK.....

ridgerunner

Haven't hunted with my oldest son in years..so last year we made plans, on taking him out on opening week of season to our lease to hunt turkey and calling him a bird in..we're setup in a great spot, birds gobbling, waiting on them to pitch down...i hear something about 50 yards away and look to see a flashlight...so I'm watching as daylight is just breaking, it's a guy and his wife with headlamps on their heads, they'd snuck on to property, trespassing, and were picking mushrooms all night..needless to say the birds shut up and flew off the roost in another direction...Morning setup ruined.

Spitten and drummen

Thanks guys. He bit me dead center on my right thigh. I wear snake boots now not that it would have helped then. I still don't use a flashlight , but needless to say I am Leary when I'm around backwater.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

stinkpickle

Our Texas host died in a car accident one year, which was bad enough...but THEN his father invited us back down the following year, and he passed away from a brain injury after that.  Bad luck all around.

Tony Harris

I was setup on a powerline with birds in front of me and behind. At flydown a hen flew right into the setup and started eyeballing the decoy. The gobbler in front headed my way quickly and I could hear him drumming. He was just below the edge of the right of way and gobbling hard when the hen putted and took off. I knew I had not moved and all the sudden the neighbor walks up and asked why didn't I shoot that bird. After some words he went one way and I the other.

Had a big black snake crawl under my legs once when we were working a bird. My buddy is bad afraid of snakes. He jumps and runs off. I had to bust out laughing.

All in all, its all good. Even when things go south.

TauntoHawk

I hate when you get multiple birds in and they stand so close you can't shoot without know you could kill/injure multiple birds and have to let them work off.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

jblackburn

90 mph straight line winds on the OK/KS border a few years ago shut down the birds for a couple days. 
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.