OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

WTB: A good custom slate for begginers on a budget.

Started by Gutsdozer, March 24, 2015, 05:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gutsdozer

Hello,

This will be my first year with a slate/pot call with a striker. Last year I couldn't use one to save my life. This year however I had someone really show me how to use one. Now I am all into learning with a slate and very interested in the different types of strikers. I think its fascinating the range of sounds you get by just switching the type of wood the striker is made and the surface you are using it on.

Since I am new at it a friend suggested slate and a wood striker. The type of wood he said would be up to me. I have a glass  one with a cheap plastic striker and it just doesn't sound quite right to me. I say cheap because I am on a bit of a budget.

Can anyone suggest certain brands of calls or types of wooden strikers? That might suit me best at this stage?

letinmfly

Get a hold of mspaci on here.  He makes a great sounding slate and it won't set you back much.
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

neal

Check out the Hooks custom call line of calls, maybe there's something there that fits your price range. If you want to hear one run just go to the Hooks website and call Scott and he'll run it over the phone for you.

Good luck this spring!

Neal
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

ridgerunner

If your down around Canton Georgia Lonnie Mabry makes a great slate for a steal of a price..

sbbow

Lonnie Sneed's Hot Hen give a call
304-425-3021. He doesn't have a website. $30 without cover or $40 with cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sbbow

Gutsdozer

Quote from: sbbow on March 24, 2015, 07:01:39 PM
Lonnie Sneed's Hot Hen give a call
304-425-3021. He doesn't have a website. $30 without cover or $40 with cover.

Wow, totally hand crafted and only $30-$40? Do they sound good?

jordanz7935

No they dont sound good, they sound GREAT. I love my hot hen slate.Great call.Its a steal @ $30.

Gutsdozer

Quote from: jordanz7935 on March 24, 2015, 07:44:46 PM
No they dont sound good, they sound GREAT. I love my hot hen slate.Great call.Its a steal @ $30.

Is that with a striker?

jordanz7935

Is that with a striker?
[/quote]

Yes that includes a striker.

ridgerunner

Yeah you can't beat Lonnie Sneed hot hen or Outlaw hen..I have the hot hen, awesome call!

TauntoHawk

For price on slates you can't get more hen than the sneed hot hen.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jgarrett

I think a lonzo slate is $45, and he makes a great call.  I love my Birdseye maple.
John Garrett IV
The Panhandle of Florida

sbbow

I think I got a hickory with the slate and a purple heart with the glass.  THEY ARE ALL TURKEY !!! You will not be disappointed give him a call. He will play his calls for you over the phone so make sure you have time to talk it's a good thing.

mgm1955