Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Do you usually kill a bird when you hunt?

Started by Marc, March 24, 2015, 04:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Assuming some bird activity (seeing or hearing them) how often do you come home with a bird?

Most of the time I do not get a bird.
42 (62.7%)
Most of the time I do get a bird.
8 (11.9%)
I get a bird about half the time.
17 (25.4%)

Total Members Voted: 67

dirt road ninja

This year I'm 4.5 days afield and 1 bird.

alloutdoors

My best year ever ratio wise was 6 for 8. Took 4 days to kill my two, and went 4 for 4 calling for other people. Of course there were quite a few hours spent scouting in order to set up those hunts. On my home territory I think my average is probably around one bird for every three days hunting.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: porcupine on March 24, 2015, 09:51:48 PM
Some years are better than others  :funnyturkey:

I have bad years and good years, but I enjoy every morning in the turkey woods.
I do not have to take a bird to have a great hunt. I love to play "the game" sometimes they win, sometimes I win
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Marc

How many times when you do not get a bird, that you think yourself, or someone else could have done something different to be successful?

Last season for me, half the times I was not successful, I think if I had not made a minor mistake, or played things just a bit differently, I could have come in with a bird hangin' over my shoulder...  About half the time, other than trespassing or doing something outside my own ethics, the birds were just plain smarter than I was...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Tennessee Lead

Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 24, 2015, 10:48:44 PM

I do not have to take a bird to have a great hunt. I love to play "the game" sometimes they win, sometimes I win
[/quote

Yes sir I feel the same. If I get birds to gobble at a call I am happy. Calling one to the gun is just a bonus.

Sent from my iPhone that I ain't smart enough to use with tapatalker

Green Trumpeter

On the small properties that I hunt, I often do not get a bird, somewhat due to a lack of birds around. However, I have a few properties where if a bird is there, there is a good chance he will die.

mudhen

I've never really thought of turkey hunting in that context...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

owlhoot

Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 24, 2015, 10:48:44 PM

x2

TauntoHawk

The bird densities and pressure are huge in this.

Example in PA where I have public to hunt and live in the SE where we have the highest people densities, least amount of turkeys, and least amount of public in the state. It's tough, I've never taken more than 1 bird and it always takes me several outings to get that done. The average hunt after the first few days goes without a single gobble.

In NY I have access to about 10 private properties, not huge properties but most hold birds every day. I've killed my last 6 birds in 6 days 5 of them before 7am. Usually before i even hunt for myself I've already called a few for my wife, youth hunters or friends. In NY I watch a bird get shot more days than I don't. Pa I don't even watch a bird more days then not.. Lol
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

dejake

I kill one more often than not.  I attribute that solely to scouting, not skill on my part.  I probably spend 20 hours scouting for every hour hunting. 

CoachHunter

2 birds in 12 hunts last year.  Failing/not seeing any birds makes killing more enjoyable. Or at least thats what I tell people.

jlawson382

Wait, we're supposed to be killing 'em?  I thought this thing I was carrying was a funny-looking camo walking stick!

870supermagnum

I said I usually kill a bird about 50% of the time... now, that's a lie.  I was a little grandiose when I answered that question.  The season limit in NE Florida is two per season and I usually get my two.  However, there has been a couple of seasons where I only got one.  I still work full time, hunt the weekends and take a day off here and there.  I'd say I kill a bird every fourth or fifth time out.

darron

Last year was the best year I have had in Ohio in years...

First day- tagged bird #1
day 2- watched my buddy tag a bird on the same ridge where I shot mine the day before
third time out- doubled up with a friend, tagged out, father shot one the same day
fourth time out- took my aunt and worked a bird for 6 hours, got to 75 yards...no shot but fun

stinkpickle

Some birds I've hunted for 10 minutes and others for 10 days.  While I fully expect to shoot a bird every time I go out, reality usually lands far from my expectations.   ;)