OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What did I do wrong?

Started by g8rvet, March 24, 2015, 03:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

Had a classic early morning hunt - except for the kill.  Was very tight lipped on the bird-one tree yelp.  I moved closer to him after that (he did not answer me, just gobbled a few minutes later).  Got set up and clucked a couple of times on the pot call.  He answered.  Gobbled going away when he hit the ground.  2 more clucks and purr.  He answers and is moving closer.  Comes in like he was on a string, gobbling every 20 yards or so.  A couple of very quiet clucks and purrs when he is at about 75 yards, just so he will be looking for me.  He comes by me, very close, but palmettos obscure my vision. I have gun up knowing his is gonna die and he just skirts where I can see him.  Gobbles on past me. I let him get a little ways and try to talk him back in to returning and closes half the distance but no closer. I am being very quiet compared to how I have killed birds on public, just enough to let him know where I am.  He gobbles to leaf scratching, so he can definitely hear me.  He then gobbles his way out of hearing. 

So I am pouting and feeling down and tell my self to suck it up and get back in the game.  I call and walk a long ways and nothing.  Get in truck and head to a bird I fooled with on opening morning and sure enough, he is gobbling again in the swamp.  I know I need to get in to the tangle with him, so I move quietly in.  Carefully reposition 3 times over the course of 2 hours as he is doing the same thing - gets to 50-70 yards and hangs.  Very thick between me and him, but he can easily go around the 20-30 yard wide thick area and he never does.  Get him real close too, but he won't finish either.  Someone was talking about confidence on another thread and I am losing mine.  I seem to be really good at finding the bird, figuring out where he is roosting and getting in front of him if able, just can't close that last 30 yards on a bunch of different birds.  These are all public land gobblers.  I have tried ultra quiet and have gotten frustrated on a few and tried to be aggressive. 

My purr sounds like what other caller sounds like to me and it sounds like hens I hear. Quiet clucks and soft yelps as well.  The birds respond, they just don't finish.  Maybe 5-6 birds over the last few years that I know are gonna die and they just don't make that last mistake.  It must be me, but I am at a loss.  I have killed my share of mature toms, but it just seems like when I get in the game,  I don't convert at the rate the really good hunters do.   

Any thoughts are welcome.  I know plenty of ya'll are long time turkey hunters.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Greenshed Longbeard

It seems to me your in the game. Remember it is hunting not killing. What works today will not on another. If you killed every time you went where is the challenge. TV shows do not show the things you described. Who is to say your not a good hunter. A lot of folks would be happy having experience s such as yours. Enjoy every encounter .
Greenshed Longbeard

wisconsinteacher

You sound like you are a good hunter, by being close to two birds in one morning.  I would take a nap, eat and regroup.  From there, go back and get one to gobble and kill'em. 

I would bet that you maybe fighting a few hens that are making life hard for you.

hobbes

Just sounds like turkey hunting.  I usually try to avoid setting up in a "tangle" if I can but that isn't always possible.  Make it easy for him to get to you if possible, somewhere he can feel safe and visible.  May not always be possible as thick as it is in the south.

guesswho

Sounds like you have a lot figured out.  One thing that you may or may not be putting thought into is where you set-up.   A good set-up is hard to explain, what looks good from your vantage point may look different from his approach.  A lot of people will look at a spot and think ok, I can see him if he comes here, here or here,  Looks good to me!   I try to imagine what the gobbler will be looking at.  Some of the birds you mentioned probably got to a spot where they knew they should be able to see that hen that's scratching, purring or whatever.  Then If he doesn't see her chances are he's moving on.  I try to pick a spot where he's in a killing spot before he can see if the hen is there or not.  Example would be a rise, a root wad, palmetto thicket etc.  Anything that would impede his vision enough to cause him to have to get closer.   It's hard to explain, but can make a difference.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Marc

I don't know about the others on here, but I come home empty-handed more than I do with a bird in the bag...  Sounds like you had a bird that was just a bit smarter than you were this morning, which is generally the case for me...

My favorite thing to do on a tom that has almost come in, but lost interest is to move (parallel and slightly away) while calling...  Sometimes it seems if they thing that hen is moving out on them, they might approach a bit more aggressively.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

jblackburn

Turkeys are mean and must be shot on sight.  :funny turkey:

Get back out there and try it again, it sounds like you did a lot "right" (whatever that means).
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

jbrown

With a gobbler like you have, I like to call walkin away maybe 30yds, then sneak back to your set up and dont call, or have a buddy call 40yds or so behind you. Try them mid mornin or later, very little callin, leaf scratchin is deadly. Persistence kills a lot of gobblers, dont ever give up!!

Chilly

Quote from: jbrown on March 25, 2015, 11:31:30 AM
With a gobbler like you have, I like to call walkin away maybe 30yds, then sneak back to your set up and dont call, or have a buddy call 40yds or so behind you. Try them mid mornin or later, very little callin, leaf scratchin is deadly. Persistence kills a lot of gobblers, dont ever give up!!
This !!!! we have had to finish several like this. 
Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!

Snoodsniper

Lots of good ideas here. Set up where he wants to go not where you would like him to go.

ScottS

Getting longbeards coming to ya on public land, I'd say you are doing alright. Keep at em!

strutnrut

Sounds like you had two good hunts. I mean the only thing missing is the tote.  No where near every bird called in is going to be killed. Look at it this way at least you worked two birds to the gun. Keep on him he will come in. The only thing I might have done different is if he was coming I would have let him look for me and never would have made a call within the 75 yards. Scratch them leafs. He already know where you are. At 75 yards he is in look mode, I mean he is looking for live walking hen at that point.

Dr Juice

Not knowing the frequency of your calling, have you considered calling less? A lot of times less is more.

zelmo1

:popcorn: Sounds like you are doing fine. Working birds is the fun part. When you get more chances, it will work out. Keep at it. Patience kills  turkeys.  :OGturkeyhead:

g8rvet

Great ideas and thoughts guys.  Please keep them coming. 

The first bird, I called the fewest and quietest on any bird I have ever worked.  I did start calling just a wee bit more after he passed me.  Maybe not even then?  Still kept it soft, just called a few more times.  I have had a couple birds circle me over the years, very frustrating, but that is just being turkeys.  Did not feel like he was circling, felt like he was headed out. Maybe I just got impatient.  I am making a very concerted effort this year to call less.  I know it is good advice, especially on these hard hunted public birds.

On the second bird, he chose the battlefield.  I had no other options for moving really, it is mega thick and he was 200 + yards from anything thin enough.  I did look at satellites and can see a way in from the back side and that seems how he went out.  I will see if maybe I can have a surprise for him on Sunday. 

On the bright side, did hear a gobble on the private land I hunt, so I know there is a Tom there.  Really hope my daughter can get on him.  Also, got invited to join a lease next year that has a mess of turkeys and only one turkey hunter - 3500 acres and cheap.  All the members are deer hunters.  I have had this client show me trail cams and dead turkeys he has taken there over the years-just never got an invite.  I even hunted the area years ago when it was public.  Already stoked for next year.

Anyone else chiming in would still be appreciated.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.