OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which states kill heavy birds?

Started by Hook hanger, March 24, 2015, 02:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobbes

Farm country produces fat birds.  I hunt IL birds in riverbottom farm country and hill country only 10 miles apart.  The farm country birds easily average a couple lbs more.

bigbird

^^^^ I'm with this guy, indiana isn't any different the hills seem to wear off that extra weight and the farm ground birds are a few pounds heavier. Average bird here is prolly in that 21-23 lb range, my heaviest is 26lb

Kylongspur88

On the place I hunt I've killed 2 at 25lbs. Have seen a 27 and 29 pounder killed off the same place. I think the state record is 32?? These are east Ky mountain birds.

WNY Bowhunter

Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 25, 2015, 10:58:57 AM

Quote from: MACHINIST on March 25, 2015, 10:29:02 AM
Quote from: mlisandro on March 24, 2015, 08:03:02 PM
You're lucky if you break 20# in the southern tier of NY.

I wouldn't say that.I know out of the majority of the birds we (friends and family) killed last year it was a 50/50 for above and below 20lb mark.I would say 20lbs is a good bird for around here but not lucky

When Turkey weights are being split by just a few pounds between small and big, a simple area change can really effect it greatly. I hunt one place I've never seen a bird go over 20 and another place about 25min away I've never seen one go under 20. Mountain  compared to beef farm next to golf course the birds have way more access to good food. Also depends on age you typically harvest, I don't see many 2yr olds go 20+ but if you consistently shoot 3-4yr old birds your gonna kill a lot of 20+ lbers

We kill many birds in the 20-21lb range in my area with a really big one tipping the scales at 22.  I have never had my hands on a gobbler in my neck of the woods over 23 lbs. A friend of mine that I hunt with about 30 miles away (more agriculture in his area) kills them regularly in the 23-25 range.  They have killed several on one farm over 26...his wife killed one a few years back on that farm that went nearly 29!!!
"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

cutt down

Quote from: turkey_slayer on March 25, 2015, 05:07:00 PM
You boys must be hunting west Tenn. In the northeast part they are usually 18-20lb. Though I did kill 2 over 23 in 2013 but they were heavier that year everywhere I hunted. Great acorn crop, late spring, and the cicadas were thick the previous summer. It was the perfect storm for weights

Probably Mid TN. Birds there seem to be heavier than West TN. The river bottom birds around West TN typically average 18-20lbs.

Cut N Run

My heaviest in N.C. tipped the scales to 24 pounds. He was the heaviest weighed in at the sports shop where I checked him in for 2007.  We seldom see any 25 pounds.  It only makes sense that states with good soils grow the best food and the best turkeys.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: captin_hook on March 24, 2015, 03:02:00 PM
Anything 20lbs and up is a big boy in PA
+1 I agree. It takes a big bird to go an honest 20 pounds or more, especially in the NC mountains where I hunt. I have killed three over 20 with the largest 23 pounds but those are exceptions. My average bird here is between 17 and 19 pounds.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

10gaugemag

The area I hunt in West Central Mo. now is mostly agricultural ground and the birds don't seem to be any bigger than the birds we killed in Dallas county 20-30 years ago. We killed several down there in the 24-26# range according to the scales at the check station. Average here in west central Mo. and southern Mo. for us has been right around 21#. Wish we were hunting those big southern woods again.

dawgfrombama

27 1/4lbs in Kansas in 2012.  24lbs in KY and 23lbs in KY.

tha bugman

tha bugman

I have killed some heavy birds in PA!

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Mike Honcho

CRAWDAD....I read the Kansas kidney story and the part about the weight of the bird being a state record was incorrect.

There are several birds in the Kansas records over 30 lbs.  I've shot two in past three years over 26.

BigMick

I'm in KY and the birds around here probably average around 23 lbs or so.  I've killed 2 over 26

Vaturkeyhntr