OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which states kill heavy birds?

Started by Hook hanger, March 24, 2015, 02:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hook hanger

What is a heavy bird in your state? I know of some in missouri push over 28 pounds. My largest in missouri was 26lb 4oz.

captin_hook

Anything 20lbs and up is a big boy in PA

Dtrkyman

Illinois for sure,  I have killed a 26 and 27lbr , both in the same season!   When I was guiding we commonly saw 24lbs but 25 plus was pretty rare.

I know Iowa has em too!

mgm1955

jepcho

My vote is for Iowa.  I've killed 4 birds here over 25#, including my biggest ever of 30.5#.  I know that is huge but I checked in on 3 scales.  If you look on the NWTF website for record weight easterns, several were taken in Iowa.  I think I've only ever killed one under 20# here.  Missouri has some big birds too.  I would say the midwest in general.

Gamblinman

KS, IA, and MO all have some heavyweights.

Gman
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

turkey_slayer

mudhen

Oregon....

KS has heavies too....I have multiple 25 lb+ birds there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

born2hunt

Everybody knows that Florida has big ole heavy birds, just like our deer. :toothy9:
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

owlhoot

plenty of 25+ and  a 27  a 27 1/2  , 28 back in 82 and good buddy shot a 29 1/2 a few years ago, he weighed him on 4 scales and couldn't break 30,  lol.  north Mo. birds.
Plenty of 25+ we took in Kansas too.

Dr Juice

You're lucky if you break 20# in the southern tier of NY.

IowaGobblers

I would have to say my home state Iowa with the corn fed birds. Wisconsin has some big birds too. Shoot and hear of multiple 25+ a year. Buddy shot a 30.3 lb last year.

MouthCaller

From watching turkey hunting videos it's Missouri by far they kill some whoppers there around 30 pounds

TN Beard Buster

I'd say Tennessee would be in the top 10, if not in the top 5. I have personally killed 2 over 25 and 1 over 26. I hear of several birds here in Mid TN tipping the scales at 27-28lbs annually. I know the Midwest has some tanks, but I think we can hold our own.

reynolds243

Killed 4 birds in Tn last year all over 22lbs with 2 being over 24lbs

Proverbs 3:5
"Trust in the lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding"

Sent from my phone because I'm that coo